or Connect

Posts by peacemama

I will eat a whole bag of sour patch fruits and keep going even after I start feeling yucky! Chocolate is my weakness, too. But my really funny one is those black and white cookies - you know, the kind that's got chocolate icing on one half and vanilla on the other? When I was a kid my father always bought me these on Sundays during his visits (yeah, Sunday dad) and I've never lost my taste for them. Of course, you have to choose what color to eat first, and then eat...
My 3 year old dd knows the words "vagina" and "vulva." She doesn't know the exact distinction between the two, and sort of uses them interchangeably now, but that's okay. I also can't stand that, "Boys have a penis and girls don't" sort of thing. You never hear anyone say, "Girls have a vagina and boys don't." It did feel weird at first using these words so casually but you get used to it. It kind of freaks Grandma out when dd says, "Grandma, can you give me some...
Mamapie, you most certainly did not offend. If I had had a boy, he would have been circumcised for religious reasons, because even though I am not religious myself, dh's family is. I don't see circumcision as an AP issue; rather it's more of a human rights thing. Believe me, having read a lot of articles about the subject, including those in Mothering, if i had a boy now i would probably put up a big fight about it. The more I read about it the more it resembles those...
I agree that overdoing the praise comes across as insincere, and it can also create insecurity because a child will always look to others for their approval. I try to help dd praise herself: "You got dressed all by yourself; you must feel so proud to be growing up!" Also, as a teacher, I absolutely believe in describing what a child has done well rather than indiscriminate praise. I believe that when we see a child's painting and say, "I see you used lots of bright...
A mother who is thinking $$$$$$, that's who.
Crunch, crunch, crunch...the older I get, and the more time I spend here, the crunchier I become! I think it's great...I've been buying more organic food, reducing the use of toxins in my home, dealing with dd in a more peaceful manner. Living in a very NON-crunchy area actually makes it a little more fun for me, because I love being a rebel! Mamapie, your words made me feel so good! Love you, hon! You know I'm always here if you need me!
Linda In Arizona - that is too funny, because I had a similar incident with toy store animals, except my dd was using the word "vulva"!!!:
That baby definitely had a wet face a few times, though I suppose that could be water placed there by the makeup crew. Still, it really did look real...
Pallas, I was thinking the same exact thing during that episode of "ER" last night! They were showing the baby actually crying a lot of the time - and it certainly looked real to me. It does seem pretty awful to me. Who would allow their child to be used like that? :mad:
Pottermama, I always thought your name meant you were a fan of Harry Potter!!! Just for the record, I am!