or Connect

Posts by Fay

The saddest thing about it is that your MIL has that type of negative self-talk running through her head all the time...and she actively taught negative self-talk to your child.  But you can actively teach positive self-talk.  The script that I recite to my kids is, "Your body is strong.  You can do it.  Keep trying.  I see how careful you are.  Yes, I can help.  You know how to move your arms and legs.  Exercise helps you feel happy and healthy every day."  I wasn't...
We don't do Santa here.  Santa is the creepy guy at the mall.   The kids each get 1 gift from me & DH.  Usually Legos or some kind of open-ended building set without batteries.  Small fidget toy & a few chocolate coins in their stockings.  The kids give each other a book.   We get huge boxes of random, developmentally inappropriate toys from various relatives in the weeks leading up to Christmas.  We send out only homemade crafts - this year it's a fridge magnet...
We had to pay for almost everything out of pocket because of insurance laws in our state.  The school district offered ABA, but we refused it on the grounds that it did not address any of our son's core issues and actually made his anxiety much, much worse.  2 hours of ABA per week does not help anyway.  Once we got his anxiety under control through floortime at home, we were able to enroll him in a public preschool program for children with autism.  In our son's case,...
I taught my Lego-loving boys how to sew during spring break last year.  They were overjoyed.  One of my goals in 2013 is to teach the basics of quilt patterns to them.  The desire to create and build is a noble desire.  My boys also love the sensory and creative aspects of baking.   Don't throw away the leftover Ivory soap shavings - they can be re-constituted and re-used for carving.  Another use for hungry hands.
If you are denied SSI, you can immediately apply for the Katie Beckett Medicaid Waiver - google it.  The waiver will pay for most therapy, medical bills and respite.  Most states have a waiting list for the waiver, but it's worthwhile to get your child's name on the waiting list.   I've been a SAHM since my first child was born almost 12 years ago.  He had autistic symptoms from birth, and the demands at home have been too great for me to consider returning to work....
I have 2 very high need kids who cried and screamed to the point of vomiting as babies.  We called the car seat "the infant torture device."  My older child turned out to be crying due to autism.  Attachment parenting was important for him, because it meant that he never had the opportunity to withdraw completely into himself - he learned how to communicate with me to have his needs met.  He has an anxious, affectionate personality.  My younger child was crying because...
My kids have always been terrified of mall Santas.  It was important from day 1 to tell them that people like to play pretend, and those are just people wearing Santa costumes to celebrate Christmas and honor the memory of St. Nick.  We do put our shoes outside on Dec. 6 for St. Nick, but the kids know it is pretend and they enjoy getting the Trader Joe chocolate coins in their shoes.  My DH (probably also on the spectrum) has a big problem with lying to kids about the...
I'm not an expert...but that does not sound like a behavioral issue at all.  Get an appointment with a geneticist for a full work-up.  Make the pediatrician's office staff do some of the work for you - they can schedule the appointment with the neurologist and the developmental pediatrician and the geneticist.  The ped should not burden you with all of the scheduling, especially since you will get appointments much more quickly if the doctor's office calls for you....
Thank you so much for sharing this, Jaime!  You have a beautiful family.   I don't have a video of my VBAC, so watching this was very meaningful to me.  
It sounds like the bullying culture is deeply ingrained in your charter school, if the teacher's suggestion is that your daughter is the one who needs to learn how to make friends (?!?!), and the board shoots down parents who want to see changes.  Every school is different, even neighboring schools may have very different social rules.  One thing to look for is Positive Behavior Support, where teachers and administrators actively identify and reward supportive behaviors...