or Connect

Posts by Quirky

Peter, I have to say I respectfully disagree. When a doctor has diagnosed something that's a non-issue in the first place, I don't see that it's worthwhile to move heaven and earth to find another doctor to debunk the first one. We see this all the time -- an ignorant doctor (unfortunately more prevalent than the enlightened kind when it comes to foreskins) diagnoses "infection" or "phimosis" when it's normal separation irritation, normal age-appropriate phimosis, etc. I...
Please come to the hearing June 1 in Deposit NY if you can! On ExxonMobile's water grab for a fracking operation that hasn't even been approved yet:   More details here:   http://www.delawareriverkeeper.org/act-now/urgent-details.aspx?Id=74
Heather, first of all, I'm not a doctor or physical therapist, so I can't give you any type of medical advice!   I can say though that, based on my experience as a parent and based on my many years of babywearing, I highly doubt that you've caused this issue either by the way you pick up or hold your son in your arms or by babywearing. It doesn't really make sense -- I'm right-handed, and have always worn my babies on the left in certain carriers like slings -- but...
How did it go?   And just for the future whether it's about this issue or something else, you need to think: a) you are concerned that your son not be hurt PHYSICALLY and b) you are concerned that you don't hurt your doctor's FEELINGS. Which is more important? A obviously. She is a professional but she is also in a customer service profession, and if she is going to be unprofessional about your clearly stated and rationally based wishes and get her feelings hurt,...
There is no way that circumcision is not excruciatingly painful, whether in a hospital or in a religious ceremony. You're cutting skin off. It has to hurt! Think about slicing an earlobe off -- doesn't matter how sharp the knife is or how quickly it happens, it's going to hurt like an SOB. Religious ceremonies do not differ in the level of pain, although they may differ in the equipment used.   I think parents can tell themselves stories, rationalize like crazy,...
Just chiming in, but agreeing that a back carry with any stretchy wrap is not safe (Moby, Sleepy, etc.) but a woven wrap or a hybrid like the Wrapsody Bali Stretch can be fine wraps for back carrying if you're up for the practice.   The Beco Gemini and Pikkolo are the two buckle carriers I recommend for FFO. I like to put baby in and then rotate her hips forward so she's sitting rather than dangling, if that makes sense. For the limited times that you're going to be...
Does your son have yeast issues? I have heard of yeast problems causing phimosis. Balanitis just means inflammation and that can happen to circed and intact boys alike, so that's pretty meaningless as a diagnosis.   I would definitely see what your less-invasive options are short of full circumcision. I would contact Doctors Opposing Circumcision too for their take on less radical procedures that would relieve the phimosis (which I agree sounds like a big problem --...
Hi mamas, I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread but wanted to say hi -- I'm a long-time MDC mama and I'm also the senior attorney for the Delaware Riverkeeper Network, www.delawareriverkeeper.org and we are deeply involved in shale gas advocacy. I have two lawsuits pending against the Delaware River Basin Commission right now on shale gas and another in Pennsylvania against the DEP. We also submitted extensive comments on the DRBC draft regs. Please check out...
Ugh, sorry, this message board is acting really wonky tonight! I meant to add: my advice is, just don't go to another doctor. Don't seek a second opinion. Because there's nothing wrong with your son. Do the research and have confidence that yes, in fact, you do know more than your doctor, who's practicing 19th century medicine and is simply not educated on the normal penis and its normal functions. This guy's advice, although he may be wearing a white coat and he may...
You know the saying about when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail? Unfortunately, even in Canada, which now has much lower circ rates than the US, most urologists that you will find were trained in the era when circumcision was the hammer for every nail. UTI? Circ. Phimosis? Circ. Inflammation? Circ. Yeast infection? Circ. Looks funny? Circ.  So the problem that you have even if you go to find another doctor is that you are asking for a...