or Connect

Posts by Quirky

I'm sorry. I know it's really hard. We tried really hard to (gently) persuade in-laws not to circ and it was just awful -- two extremely educated people who had no religious reasons for circing, only cultural, and it was just terrible how completely close-minded they were and how they insisted on circing their 35-week, 5 pound preemie upon discharge a week later. It really was all about the class connotations for them, sad to say -- as in, only "lower class" boys would...
Of course I am totally opposed to all genital cutting, but....   .....it really chaps my hide when people assume that all cut women have been denied all sexual pleasure. YES genital cutting is going to diminish pleasure and YES the most extreme -- and also the least common -- forms have significant impacts in terms of ability to urinate, menstruate, have intercourse, and birth naturally. I think we can all agree that infibulation is worse than RIC as practiced in the...
This. I actually do think there are a fair number of really good online stores selling cloth diapers, baby carriers, all sorts of other natural baby products. At the end of the day, you're jumping into a market that is already saturated if not over-saturated and it may be much harder than you think to distinguish yourself from the competition, especially in low-margin products like cloth diapers. I've been shopping online for CDs for over eight years and it is...
I'm sorry. I think it's harder to intervene with family than with friends or even strangers. For so many people the family dynamics going way back get in the way. I wasn't able to save any of my nephews on my husband's side from circumcision, and it caused an enormous rift in my family for complicated reasons. All you can do is what you did, and if you keep trying with people you know less intimately than your family, you may be surprised how easy it is to get people...
I can understand how it can feel to be the "odd one out," and often AP/NFL moms stick out in some ways or more obvious ways (like being a breastfeeder in a room full of bottle feeders or breastfeeders who aren't comfy nursing in public, or objecting to the terrible snacks at preschool, etc.) Some of these issues go away after the very baby years, some of them still come up as kids get older. It can be hard to feel like an outsider around people who might think you're...
I would just count on having to take baby out of the carrier for security, and for takeoff and landing, no matter what -- if it works out otherwise you can be pleasantly surprised!   I'd take whatever is easiest for you to pop baby into and out of. A ring sling or a hip carrier like the Scootababy would allow you to have the most poppability, while a buckle carrier for back carries would give you the best ability to be hands-free on your travels and for pushing...
I'd stick with the Pikkolo. I think it's a great choice for your petite frame, on which the Ergo would likely be WAY too bulky, and for front carries for a 4 month old. Don't second-guess yourself -- if it fits well, it's a winner! You can always add on the support belt later for back carries when your LO is ready for them -- that way the bulk of the hip belt goes on your back where it belongs. If you were coming to me with your specs on your size and your ds' age, the...
I second the trekking poles recommendation. We did a lot of hiking in NH last summer with my very big, very heavy 2.5 year old and the poles saved me from falling or slipping more than once -- worth their weight in gold!   We did all of our hiking with dd in the Boba -- it's taller than the Ergo and better for bigger/taller kids IME. It also has footrests although your ds may be too big for them at this point. It's just about the only carrier I can still carry my...
I am very glad that you won! Truly, it's your son who won, not you. You just maintained the status quo.   I do, however, think it's more than a bit unfair that you title your thread "A hill to die on", ask the question about whether marriages have broken up over this, and then reject the honest answers you've gotten that, yes, if it came to it -- *which it has not for every poster on this thread* -- that this is a hill other posters would choose to die on and stand firm...
Mama, I'm so sorry for your pain and for that of your son! However, I think you've been victimized by the ignorance of your pediatrician and the urologist, and I think you need to a) stop having your son's remmant foreskin retracted every month, and b) get a second opinion. I would start by contacting www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org and www.nocirc.org -- the former founded by and run by doctors and the latter founded by an RN. They know a LOT about circumcision...