or Connect

Posts by Quirky

I tend to think of the "privacy" issue the same way that I would about my own or my daughters' privacy if stating my opposition to female genital cutting. I'm sure if anyone thought about it for two seconds they'd think "You and your dds are intact!" and who knows what visuals that would give them? But it's just assumed that all females in the US are walking around with intact genitals (although sadly that is not true). So along the same lines I'm not discussing my son's...
My general guideline is that above 20 pounds, babies should be primarily on your back except for nursing and relatively limited snuggles. A lot of the comfort issue will depend on your height, build, and fitness level as well as the carrier, but even so, if you think about carrying 20 plus pounds of books in a backpack -- you'd rather have that on your back than on your front. We're just not designed for carrying heavier weights on our fronts. If you look at most...
I'm not a medical professional so I don't know how these things work, but can you take it to your union if you're unionized? Can you take it to the hospital's ombudsman and/or ethical review board and/or quality control board? It seems to me a no-brainer that the lawsuit that would result from a NICU baby crashing and possibly dying or getting irreparably damaged from the lack of available staff while NICU staff are attending a procedure that is optional and not...
I saw a circed boy today, maybe 4 months old. His glans was so purple and raw-looking. Every time I see a baby who's been circed, it makes me so sad.
What I edit it to be doesn't show up any more -- it's stuck on an old edit that I can't get rid of. Can I please ask someone to edit it for me? Or do I need to start a new thread?
My favorites are: www.oknocirc.blogspot.com and www.circumcisiondecisionmaker.com Also, feel free to point out that the most recent stats say that only 1 in 3 American boys are circed in the hospital at birth! The numbers are falling every year. In case there's a "locker room" argument -- intact will be the majority if not the vast majority when her baby goes to school.
Absolutely I wouldn't do it and I don't think it's a paranoid, over-protective reaction to say it's not safe. After all, there's lots of places where car seats aren't used, and lots of parents who think it's paranoid and over-protective to use them. The problem is that babies who died because their parents didn't use car seats or fell off a bike or motor scooter while riding with them aren't around to join the eye-rolling chorus of "my parents did xyz with me and I'm just...
With a preemie, a wrap is great for skin-to-skin kangaroo care. Good positioning is CRITICAL though as preemies usually have low muscle tone. It's really, really important to keep baby in an upright (NOT cradle) position, tummy to tummy, ensuring that baby is not slumping down with chin to chest. Baby's face should never be covered by the fabric of the carrier. A ring sling (open tailed, unpadded edges) can also be a great choice for a preemie -- again, avoiding the...
My favorite easy-read website: www.oknocirc.blogspot.com There's also a Circumcision Decision Maker that's really good: http://circumcisiondecisionmaker.com/
Do you have a link to the BMJ article itself?