or Connect

Posts by Quirky

Gillian's a nurse and she has given you good info! The only thing I would add is to ask whether your doctor actually cultured any discharge to demonstrate that there was something bacterial going on. Redness and swelling by themselves wouldn't prove that there's an infection needing antibiotics. American doctors are by and large so ignorant of the normal penis and the minor issues that may occur in intact boys. Many of them tend to treat the foreskin as a ticking time...
There is no need for the antibiotic ointment because there's not an infection going on. Similarly the steroid cream is unnecessary -- it thins the skin, and you don't need it. It will probably take a few days before he's comfortable again but this is all part of a normal separation process, not a disease process. Just let him pee in a cup of warm water or have a cup of warm water to pour over his penis while he's peeing (sitting down of course) to dilute the urine.
Here is a good paper for you to print off and take in to educate them, published in Emergency Medicine News: http://journals.lww.com/em-news/Full...d_Penis.5.aspx
Absolutely you should not have him circed to prevent harm to the foreskin --- because circumcision will be far worse! Mama, deep cleansing breaths first of all. You did the right thing by keeping him intact and you have not failed to protect him -- you weren't as educated as you are now even a week ago about the intact penis, and by the time you finish educating yourself here and with the resources you have, you will know MORE than the ignorant health care...
DO NOT LET THEM RETRACT HIM FULLY AGAIN ON THURSDAY OR FRIDAY!!! What they did was harmful and unnecessary. INSIST that they get someone in there who knows what they're doing. Like a NICU nurse or someone who will only gently flare the foreskin against the glans enough to visualize the meatus. It simply did not need to be done and even though it's been done once SHOULD NOT be done again. Do whatever you have to do to make sure it doesn't happen again!
Quote: Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood This is perhaps off topic but I've been considering not going the RIC route with my next baby...I'm new at researching this so please don't tear me apart...I'm wondering, well, if your son had a problem with being intact when he was a teen would you let him get the surgery or would it only be allowable when they had the legal right to choose? I really don't WANT to circumcise, but I'm afraid to do the wrong...
Quote: Originally Posted by zinemama Oh, that is sad. But the man was 93 and had a long, very full life, right up to the end. This is how I felt, especially reading his obituaries and learning about his extremely interesting life. I am sad for those he left behind, but it would be hard to find a life better lived, and that's pretty amazing!
I definitely wouldn't waste any more time trying to convince him because he's simply not open to discussion and he's obviously being a big jerk about it. I would call your attorney and figure out what you have to do to make it crystal clear that you under no circumstances ever consent to circumcision. A letter from your attorney to his attorney spelling out the consequences of his circumcising the baby behind your back. And I would fight to make sure that you are not...
I'm sorry! Good for you for trying, though.
There are huge physical losses involved in circumcision. It is really beyond dispute that circumcision removes half the nerve endings of the penis and irrevocably alters its structure and function. Read http://research.cirp.org and the papers by Taylor et al. at www.cirp.org (there's a search engine) on the structure, physiology, and function of the foreskin. I believe you are also discounting the harms of circumcision -- beyond the 100% effect of the destruction of...