or Connect

Posts by Quirky

bump
Mama, since you're writing a research paper (for a grade?), make sure you have the spelling right: it's circumcision, not circumcism. www.cirp.org is the best site for lots of medical papers, plus analysis, relating to circumcision.
Are you married and getting divorced, or not married? Do you get child support? I'd talk to a lawyer about how to get it in writing that all medical decisions have to be made jointly, that you do not consent to circumcision, and make it VERY clear to him that you will sue him for battery if he circumcises your son without your consent. Whatever custody agreement you have needs to have this written in black and white. (Oh, and don't give away child support or anything...
The complication rate from having a normal penis is actually very low. In countries that don't routinely circumcise, only a tiny fraction of men will ever genuinely require circumcision for a legitimate medical reason. The complications of circumcision are shockingly high -- and not recognized as such by the medical profession. First is the 100% complication of the loss of up to half of all nerve endings in the penis and specialized cells called Meissner's...
Have you ever used and loved a ring sling, pouch, wrap, or mei tai? If so, please join and support the Baby Carrier Industry Alliance with whatever donation you can afford. It is no exaggeration to say that the types of carriers we know, use, and love for wearing our babies are under attack and may no longer be available if we don't work to make sure that the mandatory safety standards for non-buckle carriers are reasonable and useful. Please read Jan Andrea's post...
Good for you for making a better choice this time around! I think you will see that "differing statuses" and "hygiene" are total non-issues. I just wanted to post to bring up one point that you may not have thought of, or to put things in a different light. I think a lot of parents circumcise second and higher-order boys because to do otherwise is to have to admit to the first one that you made a big mistake and you caused him bodily harm. But even if you were to...
You also might consider that his problems are not food-based but truly skin-based. There are many cases of eczema that are due to detergents changing the permeability of the skin. This is a result of the chemical make-up of the detergent (i.e. it goes far beyond the issue of fragrances/dyes to the differences chemically between detergents and soaps). This site is really helpful: http://www.solveeczema.org/
Quote: Originally Posted by jenP Excellent video, thank you for the link. As he point out, these RCT's were not done by HIV/AIDS researchers, but were done by long-time circumcision promoters who were able to get massive funding to push their agenda. And, the studies are absolutely being used not to promote voluntary adult circumcision to at-risk individuals in Africa. In Africa AND IN THE USA the results are being used to push for universal infant...
www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org www.cirp.org (refer him especially to the BJU papers by Taylor et al.) www.nocirc.org
In a way I see it as a non-issue and a non-parenting issue. It's not my body, it's not my decision to cut parts of it off, so I'm not choosing not to circumcise -- I'm simply leaving things as nature intended. Circumcision is a decision that parents make, but it's not a parenting decision -- it has nothing to do with raising your child or shaping the person they become in any conscious, deliberate way. Breastfeeding, CD/ECing, co-sleeping, gentle discipline,...