or Connect

Posts by Quirky

Quote: Originally Posted by Fellow Traveler I suspect that Quirky will have to follow up on the first point but to the second, I believe the effect would be to abolish the FGM law. To cover both, a new law would have to be passed in the normal manner. That is my belief. If the FGM law were successfully challenged under an equal rights theory, it would be declared unconstitutional and nullified. Congress would have to pass a new law. And IIRC...
gosh, there's no way we'd be able to give up the benefits.....especially health insurance. all sorts of stuff happens all the time, even in our very healthy family. just this year, dd2 has had 2 ER visits for pneumonia and a tummy bug (at the same time, ER visits 2 days apart), dh had an ER visit along with every expensive test in the book for suspected appendicitis, and ds stepped on broken glass on the beach and had to go to the ER for stitches. and IIRC we had at least...
I would definitely NOT put a bouncy seat on the counter....at 5 months, baby is more than capable of flipping himself off the counter onto the floor. :bigeek Not to be alarmist, but a study presented at the AAP conference in October of 2009 found a HUGE number of children were injured -- and three died -- flipping themselves off high surfaces in their infant carseats in a 5 year period. And bouncy seats are much lighter-weight than carseats. It's just not safe at any age...
I generally find back carries more comfy heat-wise than front carries, not to mention more ergonomic for the parent esp. compared to a front facing out carry. I would ordinarily vote for the mei tai, but if it's minkee lined it will be hotter....I don't know enough about the Evenflo to comment on that one but if it's comfortable for both of you that would probably be my pick. I think you will absolutely roast to death in the Moby.
The problem is, the equal protection argument doesn't work from a legal standpoint. IMO. I'm quoting myself from other threads here: Quote: The Fourteenth Amendment only guarantees that the states shall not pass laws that violate constitutional equal protection guarantees. When it comes to the federal government, it's the 5th Amendment due process/equal protection clause that applies. Moreover, it's not an absolute prohibition -- laws are held to higher...
I have people over to my house all the time (I sell baby carriers) and I've never worried about the security aspect of it. However -- diapers have an even lower margin than baby carriers, and are less expensive. So say you have a $20 dollar diaper that you spent $10 on wholesale, plus $1 shipping. And after spending an hour -- or more -- basically running a solo cloth diaper workshop for one customer, she buys one diaper. Or zero diapers. Or she buys a bunch, and...
I think it's helpful to keep in mind Margaret Mead's saying to the effect of "if a fish were an anthropologist, the last thing it would discover would be water." In this situation, circumcision is so much a part of our culture that we accept it as normal, harmless at worst and beneficial at best. Anti-circumcision information that lays out its true horrors can be dismissed as "biased" because we're so used to thinking of the pros of circumcision and how ordinary it...
I second the recommendation for the Pikkolo -- the toggle drawstring at the base allows you to squish it up so she can have legs out but still have good ergonomic support through the rear end and thighs. With the Ergo, you could try her feet in without the insert. Froggy leg position is just fine ergonomically -- with knees bent, toes pointing out, feet flat and parallel to the hip belt. She shouldn't be sitting on her pointy toes. Just put a hand in either side of the...
I am not at all opposed to a FFO position, especially in an ergonomic carrier like the Pikkolo. I think as long as you're paying attention to both baby's ergonomics as well as your own, as well as baby's cues in terms of becoming overstimulated, then you're fine. I think there's a lot of hot air out there about the eeeevillls of FFO....but I don't think they're all so cut and dried as some of the anti-FFOs would have you believe, either in terms of physical issues or...
ITA that it was most likely improper positioning, perhaps compounded by the baby's apparent physical issues. That said, I think there's been a lot more realization on the part of babywearers in general about the potential not only for terribly designed carriers that are inherently dangerous (see, e.g., Infantino SlingRider) but also about positioning safety for very small babies even in otherwise great carriers. I know that the sling and pouch I bought 8 years ago from two...