or Connect

Posts by nd_deadhead

I agree completely with Mariamadly. Our parenting philosophy is based on respect., and it has worked out extremely well for us. Our twin sons are 19 years old, and they still like to hang out with us!   When they were toddlers, respecting them meant several things: respecting their feelings, respecting their personalities, and respecting their limitations. Having reasonable expectations goes a long way toward increasing patience with a 3-yr-old - some things they simply...
Spring Fever has struck in my house. I have been on a mission to purge and organize in the house, and I am on a roll! I've gone through stuff that I haven't touched in years.   Closets first. I do a pretty good job of keeping up on my closet, but DH is terrible. I got him to purge 8 shirts (much better than the 2 he got rid of last time!). Anything good enough to wear goes to our church rummage sale.   Next, a bookcase under the stairs. I didn't realize I had so many...
I e-filed my federal taxes with Turbotax (as I've been doing for at least 10 years). I ended up with a refund of about $750. This year I was given three choices: receive a check in the mail, have the amount deposited to my bank account, of receive an Amazon gift card (in $100 increments). If you chose the gift card option, you would receive an additional 10%!   I know if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is, but I couldn't see a catch here, and I love free...
Hugs to you, Mama!   My son didn't as far as attempting suicide, but did have suicidal thoughts, and was seeing a psychiatrist. When he told me he had a suicide plan, I admitted him to the hospital (adolescent psych ward). He was 14. It has been a long road of medication and counseling, but he has made tremendous progress. Now he's 19, and in his sophomore year of college.   Please don't beat yourself up. I know how easy it is to blame ourselves when anything happens...
Paint ceilings first (where needed). Knowing that you'll be painting the walls soon, you don't have to be terribly careful of the edges. Lay down drop cloths to protect the flooring, and cover windows - ceiling paint splatters.   Wash the walls. New paint doesn't stick well to dirt. If you need to patch or repair walls, prime before you paint.   Start with the rooms that are most offensive, or the rooms that would be most difficult to do later (for example, I have a...
So she hasn't had regular chores or helped out around the house prior to this? I would think starting now would be a challenge.   I hate the "Other parents don't make their kids..." or "Other kids get to..." arguments. If those other kids lived under my roof, they would abide my my rules too! Your dd seems  a bit old to be playing that card.   It is not unreasonable to expect a teenager - or anyone living in your house full-time - to help out. Obviously...
Our sons don't have assigned chores, but they are expected to help out around the house as asked, or as necessary. When they were old enough to stay home alone during the day while DH and I were at work, we would leave a list - it might include mow the lawn, put away dishes, wash clothes, clean the bathroom, vacuum - household stuff that they had time to do, since they were home all day. Maybe we were just really lucky, but we didn't have to bribe, threaten, or punish...
My sons got cell phones when they were 18, and headed off to college. Their dorm does not have land lines, and a cell phone was the only way I could reach them, or they could reach me. They are 75 miles from home.   DH has a cell phone; I borrow it if I'm traveling by myself. I don't have one.   I don't think kids "need" cell phones, but I can see where they would make parents feel more comfortable at times.   One of the problems with relying on a cell phone...
OP, my sons were mono-di. I can't understand how babies could share a chorion without being monozygotic. I've heard of placentas being fused, but examination by a pathologist would still be able to determine if it was one placenta or two fused placentas.   We never bothered with testing, because the membrane analysis was conclusive. But there are a lot of little things you can look for. Shape of ears, toes, nose; hair swirls or cowlicks (though they may be...
My church has a sale every spring, and they have a storage room to take donations throughout the year. It's much easier for me to bring things there than to store them and deal with a sale myself. I get a tax write-off; the church uses the proceeds for youth activities (we make about $2000/year).   The other place I like to donate is our local Women's shelter. They take toys, household goods, small appliances, and I know they are greatly needed and appreciated.