or Connect

Posts by nd_deadhead

I am not a fan of threats and punishments, and I agree with Sarafi that your dd is too young to really understand them. Your best bet at this (and any!) age is to be consistent, set age-appropriate expectations, be consistent, use positive statements instead of negative, and be consistent.   Examples of positive statements instead of negative: "Sit on the chair" instead of "Don't climb on the chair"; "Pet the dog gently" instead of "don't pull the dog's tail". Even...
My identical boys are 18 years old, just finishing their freshman year in college!   Hang in there, ladies - it does get easier.
I don't think it's about the plumber - it's about the laws of physics. If I want 120° water for my shower, and it comes into the house at 36°F (which it does for 4 or 5 months out of the year), I need to increase the temperature 84°, which will require 700 Btu/gallon. I'd need a pretty big heater if I wanted to use more than a couple of gallons per minute.   I didn't say it wasn't possible - it just isn't all that practical for whole house use, and the initial cost...
Krisnic, someone recently bumped a thread you started a year ago about your son, and the replies you got then still apply now - you need to be the Parent, set some limits, impose some consequences, and stop letting him walk all over you.   I do understand that it's hard to be the hard-nose - and he won't take well to it, after 3 years of being in charge himself.   The right choices are hardly ever the easy ones. Find yourself some help - counseling, parenting...
Just from what you've written here, it sounds like your son rules the roost. While I recognize that bringing a teenager into your home is a major adjustment, it sounds like you are bending over backwards to make things pleasant for him, rather than setting clear boundaries and enforcing them.   My son suffers from depression and anxiety too, so I understand how that aspect of your situation makes things so much harder.   He did poorly in school - and rather than...
We installed new toilets about 4 years ago, and even with 3 grown men in the house, we hardly ever have to flush more than once (trust me, our toilets get a workout).   We put plastic on the windows in the winter - until we got new windows.   If you have a bathroom exhaust fan, replace the switch with a timer, so it doesn't get left on too long (sucking heated or cooled air out of the house).   For heating - a programmable thermostat is wonderful. Silk long...
We found age 4 to be a real turning point, in terms of being able to do things with the boys (instead of for them), and their ability to entertain each other. I agree with you about compromise - I've always felt that my sons learned empathy from a very young age, too.
My boys decided for themselves - at least one of them did! He wanted his own room. Though they were often together, except to sleep, either in one room or another.   Now they are in college, and dorm roommates.
I'd keep the car. I understand that it's cozy for 5, but as long as everyone can be buckled in, I'd put up with it.   My brother and his wife have a Saturn Vue. They travel 8 hours each way to visit my Mom a couple of times a year, with 2 kids in car seats, my 20-yr-old nephew, and a 50-lb dog (plus all their stuff for a 4-day trip to Minnesota in December). It is definitely cozy, but possible. They would like a bigger vehicle, but can't justify getting rid of the...
We found out at 10 weeks that we were having twins. Surprisingly, when we thought we were having one baby, we had trouble coming up with names; when we learned about the second one, we came up with 2 sets of names in no time!   As soon as we found out they were both boys, we assigned names to babies (it seemed so impersonal to call them A and B). When we thought it was just one, we referred to the baby as Junior.   Our doctor was wonderful - he always remembered...