or Connect

Posts by nd_deadhead

The first question is "How much am I willing to spend on housing?" That includes mortgage - principal and interest, property taxes (not sure how you get out of that), homeowners insurance, and utilities. This comes from your income, minus all other expenses (and savings, etc).   Look at a few homes on-line, to get an idea of the total expenses for houses in different price ranges.   When you get to the point where you're calculating principal/interest payments,...
I grew up in a hunting family, and there have always been guns in the house. In the same way that a child who grows up around animals learns not to pull tails and bite ears, we learned that guns are NOT toys; they are always treated as if they are going off; they are never pointed at anything we don't intend to shoot. Gun safety was as natural to us as seat belt use, even as young kids.   And I agree that the inclination to turn anything and everything into a gun is...
I think my son was in 2nd grade when his class made "find the items" bottles. They used empty pop or water bottles (with straight sides), filled them most of the way with bird seed, then added a number of household items - a button, a paper clip, a crayon, a fishhook, a penny, safety pin, rubber band, bobby pin, etc. The teacher printed out a list of all the items and attached it to the lid with a piece of yarn (she was able to laminate the lists, which made them last a...
My sons have worn Land's End parkas for 2 years, and they still had plenty of wear to pass on to a friend's son (he might have worn it for 2 more years).
Hugs, Mama! You have a full, busy house - I can understand you feeling burned out and overwhelmed. I applaud you for trying to find a different style.   As you already know, the trouble with threats is that you have to be willing to follow through. So you either need to come up with a threat that you are willing to carry out, or come up with a different tactic. You want your kids to do the right thing because it's the right thing to do - not because they fear...
OP, your DH doesn't really want his son to "match" him - he wants to believe that there is nothing wrong with his own penis. This is about DH, not DS.   If father/son matching was truly the issue, then what about this? Do DS and DH have the same eye color? Hair color? Are their ears the same shape? Does DH have facial hair? Pubic hair? (If so, he of course shaves often, since DS doesn't have either, right?) Are they the same size? Do people get them mixed up? Do they...
As soon as your son can retract his foreskin, he can pull it back to expose the glans - just like his circumcised friend. But the friend will not be able to keep his covered. Your son wins!   Our twin boys didn't learn about circumcision until they were 8, and were horrified when we explained it to them (as neutrally as we could). They were immediately grateful that it wasn't done to them.
All circumcisions are not created equal. There is no dotted line on a baby's penis saying "Cut Here" to tell doctors exactly how much foreskin to remove, so every one comes out different. There's also no way to predict, at birth, how large a boy's penis will be when he's an adult, so again, it's impossible for them all to turn out the same.   Even among intact males, some have more foreskin than others. None of it is "extra", and more than a person with large...
Just to back up Star - we are on our second Cardigan Welsh Corgi. We got them both from the same breeder; the first (Topper) when he was 10 months old; the second (Yancy) when he was a year and a half.   Both are wonderful examples of their breed, and terrific dogs, but they are very different. Topper loved all dogs, but was afraid of anyone who looked like my brother (he scared the crap out of the dog when he was a puppy, and Topper never, ever forgot). He was very...
My grandpa was circumcised in his 70's - I have no idea why, though I know it was health-related (or at least that's what they were told). I was 7 or 8 years old at the time - it was the late 60's.   I have an Internet friend who was circumcised as an adult because of paraphimosis - definitely not his choice, and he's still unhappy aobut it.   I have a coworker whose husband chose to get circumcised (she told me this when I was pregnant, and the subject came up)....