or Connect

Posts by nd_deadhead

Thanks, Traci - but my "babies" are 18 years old and in college!   I like to pop in here once in a while - I sure wish I'd had Internet forums when I was pregnant! Hopefully i still have some support and advice to offer.
What a pain!   If you do decide to get a used vehicle, make sure you have it checked out by a trusted mechanic. You might still buy the car if it has problems, but you can negotiate the price down by the estimated cost of repairs (if your mechanic doesn't tell yo to run screaming).   I second Edmunds - their site is fairly easy to navigate, and they have a ton of information.   I would sit down with a list of exactly what you require in a car (# seats,...
At 10 weeks, I measure 14. My doctor asked "Are you a month more pregnant that you think you are?" I knew I wasn't. We did an ultrasound that day to take inventory. Sure enough! A double blessing!
That's a good plan - good luck!   Twice you've mentioned holidays and birthdays - I strongly recommend that you set a limit to gift spending, and stick to it! Gift buying can get out of hand quickly, and undo all the good that you have set in place already.
Congratulations on your double blessing!   My monozygotic twins were within 2 oz of each other at birth - no help there. But Bryan was born with long hair, and James had a head of peach fuzz. We could tell them apart in the dark! Bryan also has a birthmark on his temple, and James has one on his tummy, so we could never mix them up for long. It wasn't too long before I could tell their voices apart.   When they were 9 months old, James's hair had grown, and they...
It sounds like getting to bed on time might be part of the problem.   My sons got up to alarm clocks, and one had to put the clock across the room. He had a loft bed, so it was an effort to get up to shut it off, and not too easy to crawl back in!   How does your son feel about it? Would he prefer to have you wake him up? Maybe he needs a little Mommy time in the morning before he heads out the door (yes, even teenage boys need Mommy time!)   Staying home...
We have hardwood floors, with rugs in the living room and dining room (at opposite ends of the house, but the same flooring). I love the rug in the dining room, and wish I had another one just like it for the living room!
I agree with A&A. If you wait until you have "extra" money to save, you won't ever have it.   Do you use direct deposit? I put some money from every paycheck into the savings account. If DH or I get a raise, I increase the savings amount by the amount of the raise - we were already used to living on the previous amount.   It's there if you need it, but it takes a little extra effort - and if it's not in the checkbook balance, it's "out of sight, out of...
We love our Toyota Sienna. I can get 30 mpg on the highway, 20+ in town. The back seats fold down for hauling stuff (which we do a lot), or up for hauling kids (which we also do a lot).
If you opt for a used vehicle, make sure you have a mechanic look it over before you make an offer. Mine charges $100, but it's well worth it.   We have a 2009 Toyota Sienna, and LOVE it! It is comfortable, roomy, easy to drive, and gets 28 mpg on the highway (closer to 20 in town).   We bought it new, and expect to drive it until it drops dead. I would have no problem recommending a newish Sienna.   Honda minivans are good too, but more expensive, and the...