or Connect

Posts by nd_deadhead

Less than 10 weeks seems way too early to determine monoamniotic - I know it took a while to see a separating membrane on my babies (I had my first US at 10 weeks). Try not to worry too much until you can get another US - hopefully as soon as possible! I know that's far easier said than done - at 10 weeks, DH and I were told that one of our babies had an abdonimal abnormality. We spent the next 4 weeks researcing the 2 conditions we were told it might be, and worrying...
Move to North Dakota.   My son has been dealing with depression/anxiety in high school - he was hospitalized suicidal, and missed the second semeseter of 9th grade. He had a 504, and the school bent over backwards to help him, every step of the way. I never, ever heard "Sorry, this is the rule, so this is the way it is". What I did hear, over and over again, was "How can we make this work for your son?"   In 9th grade, after he got out of the hospital, he didn't...
I like "Kids Are Worth It" by Barbara Coloroso. Her extremes are brick wall and jellyfish, with a backbone parent in between. I refer to myself as a benevolent dictator - ultimately I make the rules (with DH), but I try to do so in a kind, thoughtful, respectful way. I characterize my relationship with my sons as based on trust and respect - in both directions.   I also like "How to Talk so Kids Will Listen".   As the others said, consistency is a big part of any...
CanBoo, while I agree with you in part about floppy ears - gigantic upright ears serve the same purpose.   Who could be afraid of a Cardigan Welsh Corgi? In addition to adorable faces and clownish ears, they have a delightful personality, and are nice and close to the ground - toddlers especially adore them, because the dog is right at their level.    
My parents loaned us money for the downpayment on our house, and as Tiredx2 said, without that money, we would not have qualified for the loan.   When I gave my Dad the gift letter to sign for the bank, I gave him a letter of my own, promising to pay the money back (which I did). Once you've made your mortgage payment for the month, it's none of the bank's business what you do with the rest of your money - including repaying a gift.
I agree with everything written so far. The idea of performing surgery on an infant on the very slight chance that he might need that operation as an adult is pretty silly, when you think about it. If the idea is to avoid surgery, why not avoid it completely? I didn't sign my babies up for appendectomies, even though several people in my immediate family have needed one.   Here's how much I have NOT regretted leaving my twin boys intact, 18 years ago:   - When...
I understand. I think you did the right thing.   We went through a similar thing with our 10-yr-old Cardigan Welsh Corgi last fall. For a few days he just didn't seem like himself, then his appetite dropped off (this was a dog that hadn't missed a meal in 10 years). Our vet suspected a bleeding tumor, but didn't want to operate because he didn't have an adequate blood supply in case the dog needed a transfusion. He refered us to the University of Minnesota Animal...
My boys were mono-di; I had my first US at 10 weeks; the last the day I delivered (at 39 weeks), with 8 other in between.   I ended up having a C-section because I developed HELLP syndrome; I highly doubt the ultrasounds had anything to do with it. I'm 5'4", carrying 16 pounds of baby (plus placenta, amniotic fluid, etc). My poor little body just couldn't take it any more.   As for later effects - my sons just graduated from high school with honors; they are...
It looks like your interest rates are pretty similar, so it doesn't really matter. I would pay extra on the one with the fewest payments remaining, so you can more quickly snowball that payment into the other debt.
I have twins as well. There are times when you have to step back and say "What would I do if they were a year or two apart in age?" Often that reminds me to look more closely at their individual needs, and act accordingly.   Even identical twins are not exactly alike - and it sounds like yours have quite different personalities. As a result, they should be treated differently. Of course consistency is the key, and it might be tricky to keep track of what you do for...