or Connect

Posts by CalBearMama

My older DS was 4 when his brother was born.  I tandemed until DS1 was almost 6, with DS1 nursing only at bedtime from the time he was about 4.5.  DS2 is now 4.5 and nurses at bedtime, most mornings, and sometimes during the day if he needs a nap and I am around.  Just a few thoughts for you:   1.  You are not weird for still nursing such a "big" kid.  Don't let social/cultural constructs define normal for you and your family.  If your nursing relationship with your...
My sweet 4-year-old DS2 nurses every night at bedtime and every morning (assuming I'm home at those times).  He loves it and shows no sign of giving up either nursing session.   My DH is convinced that several things would magically happen if I stopped nursing our son entirely:  (1) DS would get more sleep and be less tired and cranky during the day; (2) I would have more time and energy for my job; and (3) I would have more time and energy for DH.  I don't view...
I have a couple of suggestions that might make nights easier:   1.  Helping your child go pee in the toilet/potty at the first waking.  I learned about EC when my DS1 was 10 months old and was kicking me and nursing all night long.  Once I starting taking off his diaper and letting him pee at his first wake-up, he would nurse back to sleep and stay asleep for a much longer block of time.  That totally saved my sanity.  My DS2 is now three and wakes around 3 or 4 a.m....
I have had similar issues with my DH trying to push weaning at various times.  I mostly just kept on doing what I felt was right for my kids, without engaging too much or arguing with him.  Every once in a while, I would drop a little factoid, such as:  nursing is biologically normal and beneficial at least until the child has a fully-developed immune system and starts to lose his baby teeth (a.k.a. "milk teeth) - both of which occur around age six; the worldwide average...
Just one suggestion that no one has mentioned - take off his diaper and let him pee in a potty / toilet / bowl / bottle. My older son woke up constantly until I learned about EC when he was about 10 months old. Pottying him when he was restless and uncomfortable was the one thing that finally allowed him to fall back to sleep and STAY asleep for several hours, rather than waking every 30-60 minutes.
Quote: Originally Posted by GoldmanBaby09 I sometimes wonder when I hear other breastfeeding hurdles if maybe some of these issues are not missed elimination cues. Like popping on and off or nipping when a baby has otherwise been nursing contently. I wonder if we aren't too quick to look for some problem with the breast or the feeding when really it is just that your baby has another need that has to be met first before nursing can be comfortable for all...
I use the same system at home and while traveling - a wide-mouthed bottle (I use a vitamin bottle, but Gatorade bottles are about the same size and shape). It enables me to hold DS in my lap, latch him on to nurse so he won't cry and wake everyone up, and then undo his diaper and put the bottle in place with one hand. I also have a flashlight handy, which I put on the bed next to me and shine directly at his crotch, so that I can be sure that the pee is going where it is...
There are two things that help me, and both of them involve a flashlight . . . 1. If DS won't settle down and sleep in the middle of the night, it often means that he is uncomfortable because he needs to go pee. So I switch on the flashlight, sit on the edge of the bed, latch him on to nurse, remove his diaper, and hold a bottle in place for him to pee into. He usually falls back to sleep within a few minutes of doing this. If I just keep trying to nurse him back to...
We EC as well (we started with DS1 because of really restless sleep). The best night-time arrangement I have found so far for a boy is to sit up at the edge of the bed, pull him into my lap and start nursing him, grab a plastic bottle with a wide mouth, remove his diaper, and immediately hold the bottle in place to catch the pee. I keep a potty next to the bed to dump the pee into, so the bottle is ready for the next use. (Note: When DS2 was a newborn and still...
Sounds normal to me for a non-ECed baby (like my older son was until I learned about EC when he was 10 months old). I personally find the sleep patterns of an ECed baby (my younger son) much more manageable. You might try responding to her wakings by pottying her before nursing her, especially if it seems like she's not really waking up because she's hungry. You might also try pottying her right before her naps and bedtime, so that she is less likely to wake up...