or Connect

Posts by lalazap

I'm sorry, usagi. Testing GBS positive puts you between a rock and a hard place for sure. I was really relieved to have tested negative although there was no doubt in my mind that I would treat with antibiotics if I was positive. (Unless I were having a super fast homebirth with intact membranes and my midwives needed the time to set up birth and resus equipment instead of fiddling with an IV!) I have seen more than one case of GBS sepsis in a baby in my (not-very-long)...
Great post saudade! I actually looked to see if there was a way I could hide this thread from myself because I am so determined not to obsess about pre-labour stuff.   As a mw I have seen way too many mamas, especially first-timers, fall into the trap of over-observing 'signs' of pre-labour/early labour ... and then get discouraged just as active labour picks up, saying "but I've already been doing this for X number of hours ..." - well no, you haven't been in labour for...
Thanks for weighing in, everyone! I'm 39+ and carrying pretty high with this baby's head still completely free-floating above the pelvic brim. I'd been feeling irrationally discouraged by that because in my experience first-time moms usually have at least a little bit of dipping, if not full engagement, by now. Not a scare tactic coming from anywhere but my own silly head. I am a birthworker and in some ways it's so much easier to trust other women's bodies and babies...
Woot! Welcome Benjamin and Jack! Congrats Melissa and Erin!!
Oooh, this is getting so exciting. Are we going to have new babies every day all month? Thinking of carastar, chiromama and thomatuttle - hoping that crampy stuff turns into strong productive labour for all of you!   As for me, I am 39w today and I expect to go at least to 40w if not 41w. Not terribly impatient yet. Pretty wiped out from yesterday which was full of shopping, making four kamut-spelt pizzas from scratch for a birthday dinner party, cleaning for the...
Thanks for the heads-up, itsasecret. I had a q about nursing bras, especially for the more busty among us. Tried on a couple of nursing tanks yesterday and wondered if there is a general preference among bigger breasted ladies towards one style of cut-out/opening or another.   I tried on this and this ... I wasn't too keen on the stuff-my-breast-into-the-hole style of the first one but the tank was so cute and comfy and maybe the extra material around the the cut-out...
YES!!!! Way to go Ashley! So thrilled for you.
I want to hear from those of you whose first babies were floating up above your pelvis until late in the game. When did they drop? Was it sudden or gradual? How long before labour - or when in labour? Help! I am needing some reassuring stories about first births that went right "despite" babe being unengaged at term. I'm having selective amnesia here and can only think of women I've known who went way overdue and eventually had c-sections for failed...
Well, I'm adding things to my list again - mostly around the house stuff that doesn't need to get done but will be easier to do now than after the baby. Hoping to avoid the feeling of 'everything is ready, now where the hell is my baby?!' as I approach the 40w mark.    
My herb mix for postpartum contains equal-ish portions of calendula flowers, comfrey leaf & root, shepherd's purse, uva ursi and rosemary. I've written out instructions on the bag: add 1/4c herbs to a large pot of boiling water, steep several hours, strain meticulously! For peri-bottle, frozen pads and/or bath - add Epsom salts to bath. I've asked that somebody make a batch of this right after the birth so I can have it for the peri-bottle and for the pads. Not sure...