or Connect

Posts by SoulJourney

For those of you out there who are full time single parents without an ex nearby to split regular custody, how do you date? My DS is 8 years old and I homeschool him. I am a freelance artist so my job schedule is all over the place. My GF of seven months works a lot of hours at a corporate type setting. She is AMAZING and tries so hard to be a loving supportive GF but sometime selfish needs come to surface and she finds herself mourning the fact that we aren't able to...
I met my girlfriend almost a year ago. My son was seven at the time and his dad lives 16 hours away. I am a freelance photographer and I homeschool my child, so my life is REEEEEEEEEEALLLLLY hectic. I have him 24/7, with the exception of one week in the fall, a week at Christmas, a week in the spring and six weeks in the summer. We have a fantastic (but busy) community and the only family member I can rely on to keep DH occasionally is my sister but she's super busy with...
Hey all...we are currently in Indiana and my partner just had a second interview for a dream job in Missoula. She has lived there before, serving with the Montana Conservation Corps, but I have not. We are a completely crunchy, down to earth family with an awesome pink-loving almost eight year old son. We are veg/vegan, homeschoolers (un), I'm a photographer and we love playing and getting lost in the woods. I know that even if she doesn't get this job she'll keep looking...
Ugh...sorry that you mamas go through this too, it's a rotten situation to be in. DS also comes home with tummy issues (He's ALWAYS plugged up when he comes home b/c we're vegan and his dad forces animal products on him. His system just isn't used to it.). He also has to "decompress" when he comes home...it sucks. I try very hard not to x-bash around him...sometimes I simply just have to text my DH or my sister to get out a vent when he's around! Like last night when he...
Our home: We are vegan and eat mostly whole foods cooked at home, we do not have a TV or video games, we do not watch age inappropriate movies with DS, we read...A LOT (especially to DS). DS has shoulder length blond curls that he does NOT want to cut. He LOVES pink, sparkles, unicorns, tap dancing, ballet, theatre, musicals, the symphony, long books and My Little Pony. His entire room is pink and he wears pink and often sparkles every day to school. DS wears pink...
Ugh. My DS just got an iPad from ex for Christmas! Luckily for us, it was actually a gift that ex purchased for himself under the guise of it being for our 6yo (yes...SIX!) DS, as it stayed at his house which is 16 hours away. So DS will only have access to this "babysitter" 9 weeks a year and he KNOWS not to expect something like that at our house. We have laptops, ipods and an ipad but my DH is a freelance graphic designer and I'm a freelance photographer. DS very,...
Aricha...thanks for the response! I have tried to offer a suggested schedule that gives him the same amount of time that he has now but broken up more throughout the year obviously. I am still offering FIVE of the seven weeks of summer (I am doing this because I want DS for two weeks in the middle of the summer for our huge family vacation that takes him to the ocean to see extended family. This breaks up the summer visit but it's the ONLY time we can do this vacation)....
My 5 y/o only child is much more like NiteNicole's, and my almost 5 y/o stepson's (only child in a different state) is much like the OP's. It's REALLY hard when they do see each other, which is about five times a year. Right now we are day one into a week long visit and it's heartbreaking to see the interaction between them sometimes. DS is so overly eager to please DSS and DSS is very dictative towards him, especially b/c he knows he can get away with it with DS. DH and...
OH man...she sounds so much like my almost 6yo DS!!! His lip will quiver and he will start to cry saying I hurt his feelings at ANYTHING that isn't the way he wants it. Last night at 7pm, his bedtime, he ASKED to go to bed b/c he was tired. Brushing teeth was a struggle. I gently reminded him that we were quickly running into our reading time and would not be able to read as long if we weren't finished brushing our teeth in one minute. Bedroom: I ask if he wants to stay...
I'm wondering if anyone could give me some insight into what your long distance visitation schedule looks like if your child attends a year round school. Our school system has recently changed to a "balanced" school year, which means they are out of school on June 12 and resume August 8 this year. There are two weeks of fall break, two weeks Christmas break and two weeks of spring break. DS is in a hybrid K-12 school where he is at home three days and in class two. Our...