or Connect

Posts by Qestia

Thanks all. Anyway as an update I met with his teacher and special ed coordinator yesterday and they are actually pretty concerned about what they perceive as an increase in anxiety and worry. So we are going to discontinue the meds for now and see how that goes.
Thanks, all--BTW we have been doing many non-medication things to manage the ADHD for years, OT, social skills, karate, all in and out of school. He;s made a huge amount of progress but is definitely not where his peers are in terms of focus.   Anyway as an update I met with his teacher and special ed coordinator yesterday and they are actually pretty concerned about what they perceive as an increase in anxiety and worry. So we are going to discontinue the meds for now...
I haven't posted in a zillion years but I'm totally confused by this one. My son was diagnosed with ADHD over a year ago following years of speech and occupational therapy (which we are continuing). At that time he was also diagnosed with a high IQ (98th percentile). He's in a regular public school classroom, 3rd grade. Just this school year, he is suddenly saying he doesn't know how to do things and then not participating. He's been in karate over a year but suddenly...
I haven't posted in a zillion years but I'm totally confused by this one. My son was diagnosed with ADHD over a year ago following years of speech and occupational therapy (which we are continuing). At that time he was also diagnosed with a high IQ (98th percentile). He's in a regular public school classroom, 3rd grade. Just this school year, he is suddenly saying he doesn't know how to do things and then not participating. He's been in karate over a year but suddenly says...
My son did get an ADHD diagnosis this summer (but no prescription!) and I've got to say your daughter doesn't sound like she has the same issues at all. I think she's developmentally normal and if the pediatrician agrees you should take that to heart (our ped wanted DS evaluated YEARS before I did). Learning to sit is one of the skills they work on in K--it's not expected that kids enter K knowing how to do so. And six months is a long time in the life of a 5 year old....
I hear you. DH took a job about two years ago that involves a lot of travel. At least he is always home on weekends. But his return involves adjustments too. And I'm home trying to work full-time and deal with two kids in schools in different towns who have mild special needs and lots of appointments to be driven to. It's a hoot.  
It's definitely worth checking it out with your ped, please do--but my 7 yo went through this this winter, and it more or less passed on its own. My son definitely has a lot of sensory issues, I don't know if it's related.  
I struggle with similar issues, too, I feel like I'm always "on" DS in public "don't do this" "watch out" etc. It helps when I make expectations known clearly beforehand--like sitting in the parking lot of the grocery store (You will stay with me and not wander off without telling me, etc.) I try to set him up for success by only attempting difficult things (the grocery store) after he's had a lot of exercise, I find it best to go to the store right after karate for...
DS has ADHD and is better able to focus after he has a lot of movement breaks, they do this for him at school, too. At home he'll do a little homework, jump on the couch for a bit, then go back to the homework. The exercise helps him focus. I don't think "practicing" focusing would help. Though we do other things to keep him on track, like visual cues for instructions.  
Good point about the IEP. My son has an ADHD diagnosis but his therapists agree his symptoms seem to be more sensory related. The services he gets through the school are wonderful and have really helped with his symptoms. That said, your DD is still young. Kindergarten is not even required in our state. Why not wait a year to decide? But in the meantime it might be worth seeking an occupational therapist to help her.