or Connect

Posts by Qestia

How is finding out whether there will be parent-supplied alcohol, or parents present, at the party my teen is attending closing the door for open communication with my child? It's a long continuum between being "strict and controlling" and buying them booze, and I will fall somewhere in the middle. There have been a few incidents in my state of kids dying at teen parties where no parents were present, never mind the lesser things that can...
Where is the usual chorus of "Protecting the Gift" people? I'll be the first. I believe it is my responsibility as a parent to not send my child into dangerous situations. Therefore, before I allow my child to be someplace unsupervised, it is my responsibility to find out what is going on in that place and by whom. That is--to find out whether it's dangerous or not. That involves asking awkward questions.* My children are young, but I totally plan on embarassing them as...
I volunteered to be a room parent at my toddler's "preschool." There are three rooms there--toddler, pre-1 and pre-2, and my son went through their whole program (is now in K). We have a new director and she wants to start up room parents--there have not been room parents before. I and the other room parents are meeting this week to talk about our plan for the program. So, um, what should we do? thanks!
If you have acrobat professional, you can use the typewriter tool to fill it out. Tools-typewriter click where you want to type and start typing. You have to do it every time you start typing in a new place though.
Thanks for all the feedback. What bugs me the most about this is that I didn't follow my gut. MAMAS, FOLLOW YOUR GUT!!! I had a bad feeling about this from the beginning--even with the old director DD just seemed so young, and was so attached to her current caregiver. But the location was sooo convenient. When I found out the director was leaving I should have taken that as the universe telling me my gut was right. All that said... DD does seem very happy there....
It sounds a lot like my DS, who has been receiving OT for that and fine motor issues since about that age. We thought it was pretty normal. A big issue is keeping his eyes in the same direction his body is going--which can be normal. But it was at preschool that they suggested it was outside the range of normal. It took me a long time -- probably over a year to accept that it was a good thing that he qualified for and was receiving these services, rather than something I...
I'm all for feeding hungry babies--but the feeding right before you show up would drive me crazy! I want to suggest maybe trying a slower nipple on the bottle, so the baby has to work a little harder for it? Also the pacifier--and other options for soothing her.
I've been lurking on this thread for a long time. We live in an urban area, now a nicer neighborhood than when DS was born, but there are still occasional issues with unattended other children. I just want to say I agree 100% with what karne said. Personally, I will not allow my child to be abused--verbally and certainly not physically. I kind of operate in life from the assumption that I cannot change other people's behavior. So that does involve leaving situations...
My health insurance purchased it new for me 2 years ago*, it's a medela PIS, shoulder bag, 2 years old now, worked great. I've barely used it the past year, and finally weaned DD a few weeks ago, used it a lot her first year of life. Technically you're not supposed to use used pumps but I hate to just throw it out, I don't have any diseases. I have a ton of the attachments (tubes, shields) but you would probably definitely want to replace those--they are showing signs of...
DS spent about 2 1/2 years at a local preschool and had a great experience. It's close to our home, has nice facilities, has been there about 30 years. I was won over by the director who was a very warm, calm person. Unfortunately she resigned this summer (after 15 years). My DD was all set to start up in the summer in their small toddler room and she did. She had a pretty easy transition--despite 3 of her teachers quitting the first month (hmm, connected to the new...