or Connect

Posts by PrennaMama

Quote: Originally Posted by oceanbaby I'm not clear on why you still visit these people. Let your dh go alone, or you two can go together, but stay in a motel and meet them for dinner at a restaurant. This... I actually was wondering about such a strong response to "pass the baby"... I haven't ever considered sharing my beautiful girl with our family and letting them love her, from day one, to be a bad thing... but when I read the...
This is a hard one for me right now. I was just divorced. My ex has moved in with his girlfriend, whom he impregnated while we were married... on my birthday. She is due a year before WE had planned to have our next. I am in my 3rd year of school, and had planned to finish and then get pregnant. Now that I am single again, I know it is a time to focus on my education, stay the course, and once I'm finished, build my practice. I had a total breakdown the other...
Hello Virtues Parents! I have been gone for a long time... I am so glad to see that folks are still here, checking out Virtues Parenting. My own Steadfastness in Virtues Parenting was tested last winter, and I needed to take a break from my online communications. My husband and I have divorced, and the circumstances were very unfortunate. But through the storm of emotions, I stayed Steadfast with my gentle parenting, and worked very hard to cultivate a loving and...
I would say something. If you've enough of a rapport with the mom to be in her house talking to her, and your child is upstairs playing with hers, why wouldn't you? It could be something as simple as "So, you're dd just said something pretty outlandish, sista! " But, also, if this little girl is being exposed to something more sinister or being abused, maybe mom needs a heads up that there is something amiss. I was abused. I had a premature knowledge of the...
Quote: Originally Posted by ktmama However, if my dd2 didn't (for example) take her napkin to the kitchen after dinner, I would probably say, "No, I asked you to take your napkin to the kitchen" and actually take her hand and grasp the napkin. She is a pretty kinesthetic (sp) learner, however - she learns best by doing - so sometimes some hand-over-hand will help her. See this is a perfect example of each their own. I would feel...
Quote: Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber OP here, one thing I'm thinking about is that we don't celebrate christmas, and I was wondering what people who don't celebrate christmas at all do? If you are Jewish or Hindi or Muslim etc, do you just say "some people believe Santa brings them presents like we believe that..." I just feel like Santa and the belief in Santa is treated by some with more reverence than other religious beliefs. People...
Hope this will help some: Dh and I agreed that behavioral issues (in our view) stem from not listening. Sometimes one isn't feeling ready to listen. We have a Listening Spot... we all use it. When there is a conflict, one of us might say "I'm not feeling like you're ready to listen, so I'm going to sit in the Listening Spot til you're ready to listen. I won't talk or play until we can speak with respect about this problem." If dd is being nasty, I'll ask her...
Quote: Originally Posted by nextcommercial LMAO! I have heard people in stores using that and it cracks me up... What happens when you get to four? Is there an "or else?". I have never been able to wrap my brain around that little threat. But, I am sure there is a reason for it. I just haven't understood it yet. Quote: Originally Posted by ErinsJuneBug I dont understand it either - and it drives me nuts when DH does...
I just attended a lecture on developmental power and empowering. (I'm on a clinical psychology track). Simply put, the most power a child can feel is to point their finger at you and say "Bang!" and you fall over, "dead"... Or threaten to cut off your head with a big cutting tool, and you hold your throat and say "Eegad!". She sounds very bright, and might react well to light conversations and/or play, in this same vein. Dd, 4 in November, started threatening...
OP, I can see your concerned and maybe just not sure of the best approach for your family/child. Would you consider taking him on a field trip to the local police department? Arrange it in advance, and they will be happy to provide you with literature and even a video on the actual legal ramifications of possession and consumption of illegal substances in your state. I too used at a young age, and had I known how it would have effected my life (getting caught in a car...