or Connect

Posts by PrennaMama

Quote: Originally Posted by ruffian Prenna, I can't believe that the program you presented in your fist post is the same or related to Bill Bennett and his book. Say it ain't so! I've searched the website from your first post, and it seems to be totally unrelated. I think it's just a name confusion issue. SunnySD, maybe something to consider before you tackle the book? Yikes... ruffian, I am so grateful that you mentioned this. I have...
Quote: Originally Posted by heidirk Oh- and caffeine. I consider that medicine. I am a full-blown caffeine addict... at least 2 cups a day, often 4 or more shots of espresso. It's a total leveller for me. Speed used to level me out back in the young party days, too... doc says it's very common for people with ADHD to have a-typical reactions to things that speed "normals" up. : Quote: Originally Posted by honeydee Oh...
We confronted this as an issue with my mom and il's because dd's not a hugger with anyone but dh and me, really. My mom was really hurt that dd would balk at being hugged and stiffen up, or hide. I tried first dealing with my mom (since she's the grown one, I hoped she would be understanding...)~ "Mom, dd's just not demonstrative... she loves you! She just doesn't do compulsory hugs... sorry." That went over like a lead balloon: "You and your brother were expected to...
Quote: Originally Posted by maddymama Hi Mama, No ideas at present about the other stuff, but concerning the fish- why don't you assign him the chore of feeding the fish daily? Pre-mesure the food into a dish, let DS feed fish daily. Hide in a locked cabinet the rest of the food so he can't over feed the fish at other times during the day. Good luck, ~maddymama I also like the idea of teaching him the virtue of responsibility via...
Quote: Originally Posted by prothyraia PrennaMama- how would you feel if, rather than saying "That's okay, you don't have to say thank you" someone said something more like "I don't mind if you don't thank me. Enjoy the crackers!". That's another response I might use. I think I would feel relieved, and not undermined.
Quote: Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan I picked up the first book to arrive from my "hold" list at our library. It is The Book of Virtues edited, with commentary, by William J. Bennett. Man is this a BIG BOOK?!?!!!! LOL Enjoy!!
Quote: Originally Posted by allgirls About the virtues being intrinsic. With my three year old I will say something like "you have to find patience deep down inside you, it's there, can you find some?" The other day she was very impatiently waiting her turn for something and I said something similar to the above and she was resistant at first and then suddenly she said "I found some!" and I said "what did you find" "I found some patience. ...
Aw,poor guy! Dd became a raging lunatic when her teeth were coming. "Mad with pain" comes to mind. Imagine being in such excruciating pain (pain in the mouth is so right there) and no understanding that it's going to stop, that it's temporary, that you will transcend it. Imagine your happy perfect joyful wonder-filled world becoming one of red-hot mouth pain for hours and hours... I want some pain-killer just thinking about it. Dd got so bad she would be too angry...
Thanks! Enjoy!
It was helpful. My friend (a 12-stepper) sometimes tells me to look first at myself and the rest will follow (I think she said it's step 12). Meaning, look not at what you don't like about how other people behave but rather to your reactions and your part and how you can change that. So someone else told me recently to try Vitamin B to ease some of the issues I have.... citing research wherein mental patients had been given Vitamin B doses and found to be "cured". ...