or Connect

Posts by PrennaMama

So, there's another side to my take on this: I get a little miffed at people who say something to my child when she's balking. No, she may not feel like saying thank you right now. And a 2 yo as in the OP's example, might not have the capacity to be expected to show gratitude, but but for dd, a 4 yo who sees it modelled constantly, is in Virtues classes, etc, I expect her to have the capacity to use the manners she has learned. And when someone else says "It's ok,...
Quote: Originally Posted by aricha I regularly find myself in the awkward position of standing there while a parent engages in a power-struggle with their child in an attempt to get him/her to say "sorry," "good-bye," "thank you," "please," etc. The situation might look somthing like this: My kids are at the park eating crackers. Another child (let's say a 2 year old) looks extremely interested in the crackers, so I covertly ask the parent if their...
Quote: Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan Wow! What an awesome thread! It took me awhile, but I read through the whole thing and am very grateful to all of you. DD's school has a character education program that is volunteer run (public school) and focuses on six main virtues that they frame as character traits. I believe they are: courtesy, respect, responsibility, caring, kindness, and the last one escapes me at the moment. DD did well with...
Hi Ladies! So some things I'd love to hear your input on: Dh and I had a total comin to Jesus over his ADHD/Anxiety/Depression and he elected to go to counseling and get meds. He has had raving success with Celexa. BUT it's possibly causing some sexual side-effects. There are some other issues we're going thru too, marital issues, that all seem to tie back into his matrix of imbalance and his meds......... Some days he blames stuff on the imbalances, some days...
Quote: Originally Posted by contactmaya Hi everyone, Prennamama, i want to thank you for introducing me to 'vritues parenting'. I read the book (most of it) and like alot of whats in it,... You're welcome! Quote: ...when it comes to timeouts. I dont feel cmfortable using them *at all* for 'teaching' purposes. 2ndly, some fo the virtues listed in the book , i dont think are virtues. You know, I really...
Quote: Originally Posted by NYCVeg But wouldn't you be hurt if that person said they didn't want to attend because you weren't "real" relatives? I don't think the OP was laying a guilt trip on her SIL--the BIL was supposed to come, pulled out at the last minute, and I think it was completely appropriate to acknowledge that the kids had been looking forward to seeing him and would be disappointed. And the SIL's explanation was really...
Quote: Originally Posted by MusicianDad Wow, so... what is it your doing that will turn him gay so I can blame my dad for making me find happiness with another guy. laughup
Quote: Originally Posted by Kirsten I'm sorry - this just makes no sense to me, so I'm feeling concerned about how a five year old could make heads or tails of it. Your five year old asks for more than one sip of alcohol each night? You give her one but not the second. How is the first sip acceptable for kids but the second is bad? You tell her - and she can tell you - that it is a grown up drink.... so why are you giving it to her?? Doesn't that...
Quote: Originally Posted by PabloHoneySF I was breastfeeding my son at the gym's daycare center before going to work out and the woman working there said "are you sure he's latched on right?". : umm, yeah At least this person was a BF supporter! I have had so many... from my own family usually, not so much from strangers... they have sense enough to avoid me! My dad at dinner with us and the whole family, (12 people) when dd was 6...
... I am very curious to know if anyone thinks children do manipulate. Not little wobblers so much, like those mentioned here (10-16mo, etc) but, say, 4 yo. Or thereabouts. I have heard folks around the play-structure comment on manipulation, too. I have read material on children manipulating... I have my own opinion, but I am curious about the view of children as manipulators. Just wondering if you think children do engage in manipulation, and while we're at it,...