or Connect

Posts by PrennaMama

Quote: Originally Posted by forrestguy How would you recommend incorporating all of them into your week before you've gone over all of them? Do we need to really sit down and, like, do a virtue a day until we get them all just so that we're familiar with all of them, or stick with the one a week thing? How old are your dc's? With younger children, I think it's less important to go over all the virtues, and more about just jumping right...
Quote: Originally Posted by homeschoolingmama The other night I watched a bit of Super Nanny and was disgusted. I rarely watch that show and now I remember why! In this particular episode the kids didn't want to eat everything on their plate. (Particularly the veggies) There was 6yo twin boys and a 4yo girl. One of the twins ate them and got to leave the table. The other 2 sat at that table and cried for over 2 hrs. At about 2 hrs the 6yo boy ate...
Quote: Originally Posted by LucyRev PrennaMama, we met at KateMary's house one time! I take it you are a Baha'i? Hey LucyRev! Glad to see you here on the board! Yes, we declared as Baha'is a couple months before dd was born, and she was born on November 12. It was actually the Baha'i children we encountered and the VP approach to educating children that really spoke to us and drew us to the Baha'i Faith. We wanted...
Quote: Originally Posted by Unity9 There are some matters in each method (except for VP ) that I can't agree with. I wish I could just stick with one method and feel good about it. What do you all do? Do you use a combination of all those methods or just one? I use what speaks to me from each of the different teachings or styles I'm attracted to. I llike to look at each parenting philosophy and approach as a tool for my tool-kit. Where...
Quote: Originally Posted by babygrace no, no...i don't mean approach, what i am saying is applicable to those who cannot look beyond shows, 'experts' and books. approach is usually more for those looking to align themselves with nature and fundamentals. I knew that was what you were referring to. And the word approach, as I used it, is in context... an author, a t.v. producer, a doctor, whatever, can delineate a certain set of how-to's and the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Unity9 O well, we were doing great but I lost it tonight My DS (4 1/2)& DD(16 mo)were bathing in the tub together. My DD poured the whole bucket of water outside the tub all over the floor; It was like IKE hit our bathroom floor. I got a bit frustrated and couldn't say much to a 16 mo. So, few minutes later my DS does the same thing (copying her) and I just lost it (i guess mostly because I am suffering from a cold). I didn't...
Quote: Originally Posted by babygrace sometimes it becomes an unspoken/unofficial rule to parent in such ways as are outlined in book A or B and automatic disdain or frowning upon those who deviate or don't follow the 'rules', so to speak. just my personal observation. I've seen this, too. This is what I was referring to a few pages back. One approach becomes somebody's gospel, and then anything else is dismissed, often disdainfully.
Quote: Originally Posted by I-AM-Mother i have discussed using my instincts and am puzzled and in awe that there are not more women who openly admit to using theirs as well. using things like their intuition and such. one of the only times i hear mothers admit they even have instincts and should master them is when discussing issues such as "strangers" and "self defense" other than that that, instincts seems to be dismissed. however, most of what I...
Quote: Originally Posted by monkey's mom Turning a room in my home or a spot in my kitchen into a "jail" where my child is sequestered and forced to "do time for the crime" does not seem like it's going to build attachment in our relationship. Especially if the enforcement of that involves overriding meeting my child's emotional needs while physically dominating them. No thanks....not for me. This harkens back to the discussion on...
Quote: Originally Posted by BonMaman I have perused this thread before and just joined the other day. On that day, I broached the subject with my 3yo DS1: "DS1, do you know what the word 'virtue' means? Virtues are what's good inside us [I read that on the Virtues Project website and thought it was great] -- things like respect, patience, gentleness... Let's practice our virtues together. We'll help each other. What do you think?" He responded so...