or Connect

Posts by 2shy2post

I'm this... DS has a bite on his foot & the doc want to see him tomorrow a.m. I was searching online and saw numerous websites where tetanus vax is standard "bite" treatment - but can't find why??? Anyone know?
Quote: Originally Posted by mama_mojo I find that for a long time just reminding and being careful of what I model are as effective as anything else. I think volume control is a tricky thing for kids, and I would rather someone be a bit too loud than to seem mousy quiet. As for modeling, I make a point of not raising my voice beyond the initial attention getting. For example, I might call someone downstairs, but I don't try to talk to them if...
Quote: Originally Posted by Peppermint I guess my question would be, do they see more severe injuries from trampolines than bike riding, swinging, tree climbing, even car accidents? I really would love to see some good stats on just how safe or unsafe they are (with normal usage) compared to other things. My kids would not doubt LOVE one, but- I admit I am brainwashed that they are very dangerous. If someone could show me that they are no more...
Granted, I have the added bonus of 6yo DS. They do a lot together. Things they do with me or my help: Chores. she loves to put away dishes, silverware, etc. She folds & puts away towels, clothes, etc. She loves to vacuum. Gardening, watering, weeding, etc. Pet care We love card games: I Spy Snap, Uno, Slamwich, Go Fish, even War. Board Games Cooking/Baking, menu planning Reading - I read to her, she "reads" to me. Sometimes we make up...
Quote: Originally Posted by mysticmomma It sounds like a sensory issue, and the only word he knows or way he knows to express that something is uncomfortable is to say, "it's too tight." Are there any consistent clothes that he doesn't say that to? With my dd, I had to invest in 10 pairs of anything that felt good to her. Yup - this is DD. Until 3.5, she went naked most of the time. When she would wear clothes, she wouldn't wear any...
Quote: Originally Posted by SandraS Except - we do live in a time when kids CAN roam the neighborhood all day and play baseball in the sandlot. Contrary to popular belief (or myth, or scaremongering media) the world is as safe as it was when we were growing up in the 70's. But sadly, a lot of people blur the line between reality and CSI, thinking a kidnapper is behind every bush, when it's simply not so. It's glorious, really, knowing my boys can take...
Quote: Originally Posted by lotusdebi I'll add that my son does much better at other peoples' homes than at my home. He's better behaved, follows directions better, etc. It's not because those people are doing a better job than I am. It's because he's holding it all together the best he can in those situations. And I'll be the one dealing with the repercussions of that later when he lets go (which I'm happy to do because I want him to learn to socialize,...
I have a hard time with the "Orthopedic Surgeon" argument. That's like taking an High-Risk Obstetrician's view that 90% of their patients need a C-Section so childbirth is inherently dangerous. Of course all of the injuries the Orthopedist sees are severe - that's the specialty, severe injuries! I would rather my children break an arm than never climb a tree, never ride a bike, or never jump on a trampoline. Perhaps I would feel differently if we still lived in a...
Quote: Originally Posted by lindberg99 Just remember, it's your house, you don't have to let him in any time he wants. I know that sounds silly but it did take me a summer or so before I felt comfortable just telling neighborhood kids to go home. This is absolutely true and I need to remember it! Thanks!
Quote: Originally Posted by jenners26 Or do you have a garage you could hide your car in? I wish! We have a house built in the 70's and a suburban that might fit if I could drop it in from the top! I love the flag ideas! I'm trying to be sensitive to his asperger's. However, I really believe she uses it as an excuse not to set a lot of boundaries with him. (I don't say that lightly, this is a family we have lived next to for 5 years...