or Connect

Posts by erika

i see unschooling as following your child's lead, but if they haven't been exposed to something how can they lead you to it? i don't see anything wrong with experimenting with what works best for everyone. have you looked at five in a row for a start? it's very loose - at least the way we use it -- the 'structure' consists of reading the same book for 5 days and doing different activities that tie into the book every day (with little to no advance prep on your part). ...
you can interview me. pm me for more info.
my dd (5) went to preschool even though i was planning to homeschool. if i think my second will enjoy it, i'll send her when she's old enough. if i don't think it's right for her, we won't do it. ours was short enough (6 hrs/week) and loose enough that i didn't think there was any harm, and it was nice to have a break -- the break helped me have the courage to homeschool..
chocolate blarney stone seems about the right level for 3-1/2. i would guess that at her age she would be most interested in a story - maybe a children's story about st. patrick chasing the snakes out of ireland, or perhaps a leprechaun story - you might then follow up the story with a picture of ireland. perhaps learn a folk song from ireland, or listen to a tape of irish music or watch a video of irish dancing -- play the music in the car on the way to a parade... i...
is the patience meditation for you or him?? i could probably use something like that for myself...
you aren't alone! My dd (now 5), has only begun sleeping through in the past 6 months or so. (she's in her own room now) And she still will wake during the night at least once/week. I understand the exhaustion - with my new baby I was just snapping at big sister when she woke - finally i explained to her that if she disturbed me at night i would be crabby during the day and that seems to have worked. she has a nightlight, a tape player with a tape, and a dream journal...
your question reminds me of something my midwife told me: when obstetricians asked her how they could deliver a baby without cutting an episiotomy, she replied 'put down the knife'. read books to your child with joy, not with an agenda. sing the abc song because it's cute and fun and one of many children's songs in your repertoire, not because she needs to learn letters. when you see other 2-year-olds who can identify every letter, remind yourself that there is no...
hey lilyka, where did you get your handwriting without tears? it sounds like something my dd would enjoy, too. did you start with the capital letter wooden pieces part or did you jump into one of the later books?
I'm heading down to Texas for a 2-week vacation on Sunday. We'll be in Austin, San Antonio, and Corpus Christi. Any suggestions for good homeschooling supply stores in those places? Thanks.
I would also recommend Home Education Magazine - you might find it at your local library. I spent years browsing it every few months before I finally decided to homeschool. And, like lilyka suggested, I started homeschooling 'experimentally' while dd was still in preschool - after 3 months it was clear that she found homeschooling more fun and interesting than preschool, so.... I'd like to homeschool through high school, but we're taking it one year at a time. For...