or Connect

Posts by erika

hmmmm, linda - frog prince is about keeping promises - maybe it's a concept she is trying to understand or work out the finer points of...
another reply i use sometimes that gets people thinking without being sarcastic or directly criticizing their choices is "we would never have enough time for all the art, music, and dance lessons if she were in school all day!"
I have pondered over the clothing/behavior issue myself. I have also noticed the limited clothing selections for boys - and I really do think that boys are put into much more rigid behavioral modes than girls are. I have wondered to myself just how far I would push no-gender-bias if I had a boy (I have 2 girls), and I found myself wondering whether I would dress a boy in pink or in dresses (answer, no) - and then I was trying to figure out why not?? -- [to be...
you are totally justified in saying that general questions are fine, but specific questions about your son are too personal. how many strangers would start questioning people about SENDING their kids to school??? it really is none of their business. I think any time you choose an 'alternative' lifestyle, some people are going to be uncomfortable with it and ask a lot of pointed questions. it's like raising your kids as vegetarians (but how do they get enough protein?...
my 2nd baby was breech until 37 weeks on the nose. i had been doing the butt-up-in-the-air positions to encourage turning - don't know whether it helped or whether she would have turned anyway. my midwife showed up at my house to do an external version and she had turned herself already!! (if she wasn't turned the OB wanted to see me the next day to do the version in the hospital) actualy, she flipped down around 32 weeks but then flipped back up a week or so later -...
don't be hard on yourself. i would bet that most long-time hsers found it took a while to figure out what 'worked' in the beginning. your son may also be 'deschooling' right now. some folks would say to just let dh watch tv or do playstation if that's what he wants to do and he'll eventually get bored. i admit, i'm not one of those folks. we killed our tv years ago and haven't missed it. if we really want to see something, we ask someone to tape it for us, or we...
if it's something you really want to do, close your eyes and jump in! we just started in december and the first week was pretty rough, but now we're having a great time! it is a scary step, but consider that you cannot possibly "fail". how could you? what constitutes failure? how could individualized attention from the people who love your son the most be worse than boredom in a large group setting? you learn how to handle negative remarks. in the beginning, when...
how long have you been hsing and how old is he? it took us nearly 3 years (and lots of experimentation) to establish a routine of violin practice where I don't get complaints all the time. sometimes I get complaints now, but we usually have a fun practice anyway. (dd is 5yo) can you pick one important thing in your homeschooling plan that you HAVE to do every day (it could be a different thing each day - like writing on Mon, math workbook Tues, etc)? have that be...
Classic Fairy Tales by the Opies provides the earliest written English text for a number of popular tales. part of the fun is the archaic language. dd was just 4 when we read them, and we were amazed at how easily she understood the odd words and style. pink fairy book, crimson fairy book, etc ad nauseum by andrew lang are also wonderful sources for fairy tales from all over the world. jane yolen also has a delightful collection called favorie folktales from around...
doesn't the law also specify that they can't implement the pre-existing condition clause if you have been covered by another insurance up to the time of the new coverage? the only way they can call anything a pre-existing condition is if you go without coverage for a day before the new coverage begins. i think...