or Connect

Posts by erika

i haven't had hospital birth either, but i had 2 home births and can't really compare the pain between them! 1st was 9 hours, with about 3-4 hours of unbelievable pain - my endorphins kicked in for the last 2 hours, so even though it was awful, i kind of didn't care - but i was pretty out of it for the birth. my second was 79 minutes - i went straight into really bad pain (when my contractions were 3 min apart they were still like mild cramps), and i never had time to...
here's a website that may interest dh - it's for cochrane's reviews of home vs. hospital birth. cochrane's reviews are used by doctors when they want a summary of the medical studies on a particular topic. the second website is the index of birth-related cochrane's reviews, which you may find interesting for all the other things they cover regarding studies on childbirth in general. a few years ago, British Medical Journal published a large study showing no difference...
Becky, if they told you they don't cover midwives at all, that may be a violation of the law. can anyone help out on this? my understanding is that insurers are required to cover CNM services. good luck. it's worth it to have a homebirth. i've had two!
I started by reading homeschooling magazines and books by the dozens. It helped me to gain a feel for the belief systems of different approaches and curriculums. you might also check out a homeschooling conference of curriculum fair - contact a homeschool association in your state to get info on dates and locations. you often pay a registration fee, but then you can look through a lot of different curriculums (warning - you might also walk away having bought lots of...
is Family Math too basic for him? all the activitites are very hands-on. how is YOUR math? are your skills up to speed so you could teach him how to use algebra or geometry to figure out different things - say he wants to build a treehouse - can you help him learn how to calculate how much wood he needs, etc? i think if you just let him go, he'll learn what he needs to when he actually needs to use it.
Well, I wanted my 5yo dd to teach herself to read, but she has been badgering me to teach her with LESSONS and has been threatening to go to school because the teacher at school will teach her to read.... For anyone else in this predicament who is turned off by 100 Easy Lessons (seems excruciatingly boring to me, but I know others have had success with it), I came across a nice book called "Teach a Child to Read with Children's Books" by Mark Thogmartin. It's a...
I would choose a location based on the place I most wanted to be. If it's important to you to be near parks or libraries or whatever, let that be your guide. For instance, when you have a toddler do you mind having to get them into the car every time you want to go to a playground (or to the library or playgroup or whatever) or would you prefer to toss them into the stroller and walk in the fresh air? Do you want to be able to stroll all day, to the grocery store, then...
Iguanavere, I did not do much with paints and other messy crafts until my dd was at least 4 - I'll be totally honest here - I found it took a lot of time to set up and there was a LOT of cleanup for about 5 minutes of fun on dd's part. I don't even have markers or playdough in my house for the cleanup reason (mean mama). however, when the weather is warm, it is great fun to set up the easel and paints OUTSIDE where you don't have to worry so much! we did do a lot with...
I have seen Christian unschooling groups on the internet. eclectic homeschool - eho.org - has resources for Christians who are 'out of the box' as well as very extensive support group listings - not strictly unschooling, but you should be able to find Christian unschoolers there.
i secong the john taylor gatto book. ask dh how he would feel about sticking your kids in daycare 6 hours a day -- my personal experience with that was that dd's social skills got A LOT worse in daycare (which led me to quit my job, etc). why does 6 hrs/day of school at age 5 suddenly become the sacred cow? perhaps the best advertisement is a few good homeschoolers - try your local support group, if there is one, and try to meet some of the families, particularly...