or Connect

Posts by laehmichal

Hi there,  I am looking for a very hands-on science program for my kiddos for the next year.  We have never used a science book before - we have purchased experiment kids, and they have used lots of resource books to supplement.  I am looking to stay relatively nature-based for the next year, but I am out of kits!  We have done science on a nature hike, tracking expedition, and on a garden adventure.  Kids will be around grades 2 and 4.  Any ideas?  We aren't opposed...
one of my friends is a public school teacher, and she mentioned in the upper grades, they are starting to use electronic portfolios.  I looked into them, and they seem like a great idea  - I can upload schoolwork and projects, keep video of the kids reading aloud or doing science experiments, etc.  I was wondering if anyone uses one, and if so, what hosting site do you use?  Just looking for a reliable one, that is preferably free, or at least not too pricey.  Or, if...
I am looking for a good, preferably online Hebrew language curriculum for my first grader.  Any suggestions?  I found a great interactive one once, then that computer crashed and I lost all my bookmarks:(  Any direction would be helpful, thanks!
So dh and I just welcomed our #3, and up to now, 3 was the plan.  I am now feeling absolutely devastated at that thought.  I look around at our happy, loud home, and feel like we are getting there instead of completed.  So I guess what I wan to know is, how do you know when you are really through having children?  It seems crazy to me, ds #2 is only 1 month old, but I just feel this insatiable urge to have more.  Personal experiences please!  Just want to know if this is...
So thanks everybody!  To share an update, our employer is fighting with us, but Independent Health is still giving us quite a hard time.  Mom2disnykids, we plan to deliver with Jen Bozza, but I know Eileen and she is wonderful too.  We are very blessed to have to employer we have, that is trying to tell IH to leave us alone and just cover us, but I think they are upset that we went over their heads, so they are now telling us that our midwife doesn't have enough...
Here is a link to the regulation. State insurance should cover an out-of-network midwife (with the minimum state requirements) as in-network, if your insurance does not already have one in-network (most don't). Otherwise, this page should get them to cover you. Expect them to turn you down the first time though - they have to make you jump through at least a few hoops, right? Good luck! http://www.ins.state.ny.us/ogco2005/rg050409.htm
Just had to share this! I live in NY, which has insurance regulations that mandate coverage for homebirths. Well, when we submitted our paperwork, we were denied because our plan is self-insured, and therefore NYS insurance regs don't apply. After several weeks of phone calls to DH's employer benefits, and several appeals, we not only have been approved, but there was a meeting in the insurance legal department. They have actually CHANGED THEIR POLICY because of our...
amazing! I have been having a running debate with a friend of mine, who is a public school teacher deeply committed to the traditional method, and this seems to back up my arguments as of late. thanks for sharing!
So, I am embarking on my first hb, and we are totally excited. I am wondering what resources any of you could recommend to help prepare my 5- and 3- year olds for the event. My previous 2 births were in hospitals, so all my ds really remembers is going to an aunt's house til the baby got there. Our house is kinda small, so they will be around just about everything, and I want it to be an awesome family experience for them. Any suggestions? We have "What Babies Need",...
I realize I never got to thank any of you, so thank you thank you thank you!! We are working with Jen Bozza, after a few interesting and serendipitous referrals. DH is actually very comfortable with everything as well, which I was quite nervous about, as he is a traditional kind of guy who also works in a local hospital. Things are moving right along, we super excited, and again, thanks to everyone for their input and encouragement. You're all great!