or Connect

Posts by laehmichal

Everyone, this has given me a lot to look over, thanks! Aimee, we are wanting a curriculum with a Christian influence, and I have looked at sonlight and a few others that hsing friends use, but I am drawn to the scholarly aspect of classical as well. I have looked at Veritas press, which is a Christian classical company, and it appeals to me, but I wanted to know how the structure has worked for others. I think ds would be interested; he seems to like 'doing school',...
My ds is turning 4, but we're starting him on K work this fall due to his learning level. We've been doing unschooly, them-y activities, with some workbooks mixed in, and I am currently hunting for actual curriculum, since he loves feeling all 'big' at 'doing school'. DD is only turning 2 in the summer, but she is so into her artwork, I think she would love to tag along with some of big brother's artsy schoolwork. We are in a very nosy, agressive school district, and I...
I looked in the curriculum reviews, but couldn't find anything on classical curriculum. We are searching for books for ds - he is about 4, but on an above-kindergarten level, and I live in an aggressive town that monitors us hsers closely. I want to find a formal curriculum, and follow it loosely but have it as backup for the nosy school district. I have been impressed reading about classical ed, think it would work well for ds's learning style, but would like to hear...
My brother and his wife have 2 boys, both with long hair. Different styles on each, but it it adorable, and I hope they continue! If that is what 'fits' your ds, then leave it! I think it's so cute too, and I think other people secretly wish they had the nerve to go with it, too. My own ds, on the other hand, begs us to cut his hair - I think it's too hot and heavy for him. So we just let it grow until he asks. Kids know what they need and like!
This may not be of much help, but I am completely where you are!!! DS is 3 and is just so GREAT at it!!! Add to that dd is now newly a toddler and requires more of my attention - away from him - and she is also getting her molars! So I know this isn't helpful advice, but just know that I so feel for you, and knowing my life is normal because others share my experiences eases the burden. Now to add, outdoor time helps immensely, both the littles and you. Sunshine is...
My friend thought she would have the same problem when her ds1 was starting school, but ds2 thought his bro was so cool, he started doing school with him! Now, they are 9 and 6, and using the same level books. They do a lot of loosely structured learning, too, so when they are studying worms (for example), they each do age-appropriate activities. Make it fun, and all the littles will want to participate!
If this helps... There is a woman at my work - gma aged - wgose opinion I value, but she is directly opposite to my opinions on family life. By my example, though, and months of observation, she has begun telling me how healthy my children are (re extended nursing) and that if she had seen good, successful homeschoolers (i.e., like my family) she would have thought differentluy in the first place. She was very frustrating at first, especially since the only adult time...
dogs and balls. it's not good when there is a very mean german shepherd in the yard next door, carrying a ball, and ds wants to play with him (and it). he runs for the fence, which is low, and the dog barks viciously and scares him....for about 2 seconds. I can't wait til tour new privacy fence is up. then we can just invite nice dog-dogs to play with the ball
I was homeschooled myself, when I was a senior in high school. It was the first time I could really learn, and loved learning. I usually caught on to things quickly, then got so bored waiting for everyone else to catch up. Plus, I had to save the world, and homework clearly thwarted my life's calling. My dh was traditionally schooled, but was so impressed with my and my homeschooled friends' backgrounds and accomplishments, that it went without saying that we would...
I second the usborne titles. my ds is in a similar boat, and he loves the stories of dragons reader - a bit old for him on a reader-level, but he sits through the stories happily, and they are very kid-friendly. the dragon is the hero in one!