or Connect

Posts by briansmama

Charters are big in CA. There are Waldorf , Montessori, classical, project-based, college prep, and home based charters that support homeschoolers. They all require standardized testing (state requirement) beginning in 3rd grade, but they aren't tied to using standardized curricula. So, even if kids score similarly to other schools in the district, the difference is many kids aren't spending their days constantly prepping for the test and being assessed. This is a good...
Thank you so much for sharing such great info! I think I'm going to take a cue from you and avoid indoor play with other kids right now, while loading up on vit D more. We do the bone broth and fermented cod liver oil already, as well as megadoses of vit C but I think that extra step is warranted right now- the flu is really gong around here!
Hi, I don't know if I'm just buying into the hype or what but I'm getting concerned about the flu that's going around and looking at our schedule for the next week that includes indoor play with lots of kiddos...so, I'm wondering if any of you restrict indoor activities during the winter months, especially when the flu is going around? We don't vax and we are finally coming out of a transition period with my homeschooled boys, who have been going through the 9-yr-change...
Just wanted to chime in and second what SweetSilver said about keeping a record of learning for yourself. I use the Evernote app for this so I can make notes on the go. I have a folder for each child and I not only include key info about what I see them learning but I also try to jot down observations for each child. Like when we are in the car and my son says he wished we would have brought his broken iPod with us since we will be near the apple store and we've been...
"I have one more question (well I guess it's actually a group of questions) about what child led learning looks like in a homeschooling family. And I'm sure there are resources out there that I could read for myself, so if it's easier to just point me to them, that's fine. But I'm just wondering...assuming the parent has some role of guidance in how the time is spent (and I'm sure there are some families who leave it entirely up to the kids), how do you figure out what to...
I've been spending a lot of time on this blog. She makes the best case for unschooling I've ever heard. She is a trend spotter and a very successful career coach. She cites a ton of research showing that interest-based learning without schooling leads to better chances of success, happiness, and meaning later in life:http://homeschooling.penelopetrunk.com
My 10yr old loves the community at school. He really wanted to go this year after homeschooling up until this point. I think he really needed to try it for shelf to see how the other half lives. He's thriving. I didn't think there was any way he'd want to come back home. BUT- he noticed over this holiday break how much time he's sacrificing by going to school. He loves training in his sport and he loves being out of school this week and getting more training time. So, he...
My two dc decided to try school for the first time this year at ages 6 and 9. I've always stayed home with them and previously homeschooled but now for the first time I'm home and they are in school. Yes, I do have a few hours during the day to go to yoga or hike with my friends (and dog) but more importantly, I'm able to support my dc new adventure by volunteering in their classes each week. While my first grader was adjusting to the new environment I was able to have...
I want to use quality resources and literature to educate my children.
What your Dh said definitely seems mean to me. I'd be upset, and I vent to my DH all the time. I think your dd age is one of the most draining- I would text my Dh daily when one of my dc were that age and I was exhausted and frustrated and just really needed to vent. Mostly, I needed him to understand why I would be fried when he got home. This phase really does end though. Just hang in there! Explain to him that your are not unable to care for your child, you are just...