or Connect

Posts by oldcrunchymom

Coming in late here--just found this.  We did MAVA the first year and found them to be completely incompetent.  The K-12 program is great, but the administration of MAVA was terrible and chaotic.  They changed teachers for my daughter's grade (7th) three times in the first semester.  She was taking Chinese without anyone checking her work, as they never got a teacher for the class.  We never even got a set of grades or any teacher communication for the final half of the...
That looks great!  Love the wall color. :)  I need to do something like that to my "office" room as well--we moved in 10 months ago and it's the only room I haven't done any work on yet.  
I think I would be more concerned about the processed/fast food diet than anything else, as that's an actual health issue.  I would work on that first.   Second, I'm sure your kids have things they could purge.  We used to live in a tiny space and got used to purging every six months.  My kids and I would go through all our things and decide what we could donate/toss.  We usually had a good-sized pile even from our 500 sq ft home.   Third, I would consider weekly...
  You have to remember, Martha is clinically insane.   I am 40 years old and have never unplugged my fridge except while moving house.  I assure you I have never had a fridge smell weird after I wiped it out while still running.  In fact, I would wager a guess that an unplugged fridge would take longer to dry out at room temperature, because of the lack of air conditioning inside it.
Beet root powder works well for pink, and turmeric is good for yellow.
I don't know, I can totally see Martha Stewart scrubbing her fridge shelves with a baking soda concoction, smirking the whole time.
I recently got rid of about 80% of my books.  Here were my criteria:   * Is the book personally inscribed to ME (as opposed to just the author's name signed)?  If so, keep. * Is the book available in ebook form?  If so, discard. * Is the book reference material that cannot be found online?  If so, keep.   * Have I actually read or referred to the book in the past few years?  If not, discard.
  Thank you!  It was a ton of work, but we were determined to have a fresh start at the new house.  I parted with many little-used kitchen items, about 80% of my books (only kept what I can't get on Kindle, or ones that were personally inscribed), the dusty "collection" of nutcrackers I had built, all the cookbooks I never used (which to be honest was most of them), my giant thrift store collection of Pfaltzgraff (sold it and replaced it with basic Corelle, which takes up...
We lived in a two bedroom (VERY small bedrooms) 513 sq ft house for 11 years.  The house lacked closets or a bathtub--it had a shower stall instead.  In December we moved to a 2100+ sq ft house with a usable cellar, so basically five times the space we had before.  I will be honest--although we were happy in the tiny house, we like our new house SO MUCH BETTER.  There is something to be said for space to move and closets!  Ironically, when we moved we got rid of about...
Eternal Creation is wonderful.  I've bought from them several times.   When my kids were little they lived in Gymboree, Hanna Andersson, Naartjie, Mini Boden, Lands' End, and Children's Place.  They're teenagers now but my daughter is small and can still fit some kid brands.  She likes Next UK, Crewcuts (J Crew's kid brand), Little Miss Matched, KidCuteTure (expensive but adorable), Justice, and of course the classic Lands' End--that stuff never goes out of style and...