or Connect

Posts by oldcrunchymom

Normally I'm for getting rid of unused furniture, but in this case I'd keep it.  Or, consider selling the whole set now and get yourself something different? I hate to break up a set.
Put all the clothes in the closet and ditch the dresser if at all possible.  Put the stuffed animals in one of those ceiling nets.  Use the space under the bunk bed to store stuff in the flat bins.  If you can, run shelves along the upper parts of the walls (so they don't take up floor space) to put things on.  PURGE at least twice a year.  My kids' rooms were the same size as yours (actually my son's room was even smaller!) and those are some of the things we did to...
We are in Mass too and I'm here to tell you that you're overthinking the whole logging of hours thing.  I always write on our homeschooling ed plan something to the effect of "We homeschool year round [this is true] and thus the hours of education easily exceed the 900 hours required by the State of Massachusetts."  If you keep any kind of log or decent portfolio, very few districts will call you on it or ask for a minute-by-minute breakdown--and, in fact, asking for a...
My kids are teenagers and have never been to school, so that's where my perspective is coming from.  In general, I haven't limited screen time for my kids, but when I feel like they're grouchy from too much TV or computer time, I tell them to shut it off and do something else for a while (FYI--I've also had to pull them away from non-electronic activities for the same reason--overexposure leading to grumpiness).  I sometimes have to do this for myself too.    I say...
I agree with this--very good advice.  If he's hiding food, that's pretty extreme.
I would say if he's overweight he's taking in enough calories, but maybe some vital nutrient is missing?  If he's hoarding food that does sound like there may be an emotional/mental problem instead of or perhaps in addition to a nutrient problem.  Your diet is A LOT like ours so this post drew my attention.  Unfortunately, I had the total opposite problem with my son at that age, so I don't have a lot of sage advice in that direction.  I could barely get him to eat and...
This cookbook is also EXCELLENT:   http://www.amazon.com/Classic-1000-Indian-Recipes/dp/0572028075/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311475211&sr=8-2
My kids are teenagers and I didn't give them juice when they were little.  As a result, they now reach for water when they're thirsty, and consider juice a "snack."  Sometimes my son (15) goes on an OJ binge and drinks half the carton, and my daughter likes tea and Sierra Mist (LOL), but I'd say about 95% of the time they drink water, as do I.
I just wanted to update this.  It was indeed the chicken pox.  My 15 yo son got it as well after my daughter did.  They both had pretty mild cases, but maybe that's not surprising since I apparently had CP as a child and never even showed symptoms.  Anyway, I'm glad they caught it and hopefully they won't catch it again!
My kids are teens and they were still children at age 9.  I think you get a clearer view looking back, though.  That little bit of sass your 9 year old gives you or the cute crush she has on a young pop star is childlike in retrospect, and nothing like the emotional stuff a preteen entering puberty goes through.  Let alone the actual TEEN years.  I'm not sure why we need a "tween" designation anyway--it's a marketing thing, IMO.  9 year olds are still kids unless there's...