or Connect

Posts by tamagotchi

The dentists around here recommend having the first dentist visit at age 3 (unless you notice a problem), so that is what we did with DS.
I think it is important, especially if you have a child. I didn't get a DL myself until I was 30. I got it because my then-husband was in a bad car accident and ended up in a coma for a while... I had depended on my husband to drive me everywhere and suddenly needed to drive myself! I knew how to drive... but had never practiced and was afraid to actually go out on the road. I was stranded! So my sister came to stay with me and patiently helped me practice and get my...
Of course I know how to do basic things like those on the OP's list... but I'd love some more book recommendations on self-sufficiency topics I've got some books already but would love to know what other people like the most! Such as: Fixing and maintaining everyday things around the house? First aid and everyday healthcare? Gardening? Livestock? Food preservation? Etc... Even if skills like these never turn out to be important for our survival, it's still fun to...
The rule in our house is that crayons, pens, etc. are to be used only at the table (and only on paper). If there's any trouble with that rule, we just put them up.
Take your time educating yourself, take a deep breath and don't freak out It could have been related to the vaccine (either a reaction or just because of the stress of being vaccinated) or might not have been related. My unvaccinated DD also had bronchiolitis and similar symptoms around the same age.
My DD (15 months) has been fascinated by everyone's eyes for a couple of months. She'll get excited and start saying "Eyes! Eyes!" and try to touch them. She doesn't do it to people as much any more, but boy does she ever do it to the cats... she will chase them around the house trying to poke them in the eyes. She's obviously not aggressive and is just going through some kind of phase... the only thing to do is supervise her around animals' or people's faces. She's...
I love using a stroller for the store. I don't need a shopping cart at all, I just sling my canvas shopping bags on the stroller handles, and the stroller helps me carry everything home, too! (I don't use a car for everyday things like shopping.)
We love DS's waldorf home based preschool. 6 kids per day, ages 3-5, 4 mornings a week. DS enjoys the structure and consistency of the day and week (painting day, soup making day, baking day, craft day) and the progression of the seasons and holidays. The outdoor play is what really sold us on the school, they spend a lot of time outdoors every day in all weather, doing things like digging holes in the dirt with big shovels, gardening, puddle jumping, hide and seek in...
lee1203, I forget how old my DD was when she had her hearing screening ... she was a few months old at least. The reason they like to do them on newborns is that they do the test while baby is sleeping, and newborns sleep so much that it is easy. DD was old enough that it wasn't so easy to get her to nap, so we had to hang around the clinic for a while trying to get her to nap (with earphones on). Once I got her napping, it was a very quick test. Anyway, it is still...
I just roll it into little balls for DD (15 months). Or make the old standby, celery with peanut butter. We get organic peanut butter or almond butter fresh out of the machine at our local store and it's a little dry, but good. The kids really like watching it come out of the machine!