or Connect

Posts by AmyB

I am wondering if anybody has ever tried pasting together two 1/2 day Kindergarten programs to make 1 full-day Kindergarten, and if so, did it work? My 5 yo enters Kindergarten in the Fall. Her sister goes to the local public school and LOVES!! it, so little sis is very eager to go there too. The problem is, they only offer 1/2 day kindergarten which actually means 2 1/2 hours. As a working single mom (absent father) this is, to put it mildly, a real hassle. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by aniT Yes I know this is the official definition, but I want to know exactly what is considered luxurious and well paid? Here's a table of median family income in Oregon: http://www.ocpp.org/cgi-bin/display....=2008PovMedian For a family of 6 people the median family income in Oregon is $68,333 "Median" means that exactly the same number of families in Oregon make more than that as make less than that. So if...
I have never had a dishwasher. Before my husband up and left it made me very, very angry that he was perfectly happy to eat but he never, ever, not once that I can remember ever did the dishes EVEN AFTER I explained to him that the sight of him doing the dishes would give me warm-fuzzies that would make me far more likely to want to have sex with him. The thing is, I don't especially hate doing the dishes by hand. In fact, I kind of like to do dishes. But it...
Sports. By which I mean physical activity in general. I'm 25 lbs overweight and it would just melt right off if I could get back to my pre-pregnancy activity level.
Here's how I fix pumpkin for pie. Slice the pumpkin open and scoop out the seeds. cut it up into big chunks skin and all and boil it until it gets soft. let it cool a bit. If the skin doesn't come right off, you can easily get it off with a vegetable peeler. Boiled pumpkin is really easy to goosh up in a food mill or food processor. This method loses a little of the carmalized flavor you get from baking the pumpkin, so put in a dab of molasses when you make...
It's a scam. Try this site to find legit poetry contests: http://www.pw.org/
Three months ago my depressed spouse told me that any attempt to feel better would be "medicalizing" his feelings and he was convinced that his misery was all my fault so in his mind there was no hope that counceling or meds could solve his problems. So far he has refused to get any kind of evaluation of treatment so I don't know for sure that it's "depression", but it sure seems like it-- he spent the prior year unemployed, mostly lying unclothed and unwashed on the...
It depends on the teenager, I suppose, but one of the best memoirs I have ever read is "Naturalist" by Edward O Wilson. I think a teenager might especially like the part about how his boyhood influenced him to study ants, which eventually led him to a wholistic view of nature that has made him one of the most important evironmental thinkers of our time.
No way would I waste vacation time on Disneyland. I just took my girls (6 and 3 yo) camping for the weekend. We didn't take any toys at all, and pretty soon they were using sticks for horses, playing "house" in the tent, making up games with rocks and rolling in the mud by the creek. In my opinion, Disney stuff does all the "immagining" for kids, but a little time in nature opens up their immaginations in amazing ways. Disclaimer: I have never been to...
Of course I am. A "feminist" is just a person who thinks women are human beings.