or Connect

Posts by cymbeline

No, I did not miss it, yikes... The clinic we go to is for low-income families on a sliding scale, $5 per visit usually, sometimes free. Kids on CHIP go for free. Sorry, no offense meant.
I should mention that DH works two jobs, we have 4 kids, 2 dogs and a cat, I own a business and volunteer with 3 organizations, and the kids have after-school activities. So, cleaning is NOT high on my priority list! Laundry: With 4 kids (one in cloth diapers), the laundry is in constant rotation, usually a huge pile on the laundry room floor, 1-2 baskets with clean stuff in every bedroom. Our bathroom hamper is always overflowing, but we make sure the kids pick up...
FWIW, I put off play therapy (with a licensed therapist) for years for many reasons. My 8yo DS is now in play therapy once a week (we started in August) and his transformation is unbelievable. I tried play therapy techniques at home but I didn't see the results we are seeing now. There is something to be said for having a neutral third party lead the play in a neutral space. She has taken us out of home and school (where there is some baggage from years of...
I guess I should be clear that I live in an upper-middle class hipster neighborhood. Mostly educated white folks (techies, chemists, college profs, architects). The ones that smoke, it isn't a secret. In my neighborhood, smoking pot is what the cool, hipster parents do. Our friends have been doing it for yrs, most smoke nightly after their kids are in bed (which included when we got together and hang out late at night for bbq's and stuff), it just hadn't been a big...
I remember being in a playgroup when my oldest was 2. All the mamas sat around and talked about whether it was appropriate to ask new moms to the group if they owned a gun. Our politics on gun laws aside, none of us was comfortable going to another family's house if we knew there was a loaded gun in the house. Now my oldest is 11, and I am suddenly realizing how many of our friends with kids his age smoke pot recreationally. Not that I haven't known this for a...
Your library rents Kill-a-Watts? That's so cool! I can't believe ours doesn't do that! Hydro-electric is great. We switched to the Green Choice Program a few years ago, so our dollars directly support the state building more wind farms, but that is actually more expensive. So we have to offset the choice by using less power. This is extremely difficult in Texas in the summer! (As I speak, my A/C is running, keeping it a semi-cool 82 degrees in here -- silly when...
This thread is a question: How did you/do you seriously slash your energy bill and/or consumption? This thread is a discussion: As we run out of cheap oil and gas and the world population continues to grow, how are you preparing for the inevitable energy crisis -- on a personal level? And this thread is a challenge: We are trying to eliminate our family's dependence on crude oil and coal energy products. Anyone want to join us?
Wondering if any of you has done it? Or maybe you know of resources -- links, books, etc. Most of the blogs and books I have read don't seem to be from the POV of a parent with young kids. I'd love to network with other families that made the transition -- and can talk about how. I think our biggest challenge will be either going solar or foregoing A/C in the brutal summer heat!
Anyone have any experience going off-grid in the city? Maybe this warrants a new thread...
We are urban homesteaders, too, so glad to see this thread FWIW, I have no interest in moving out to the country -- I am a city girl! We live in a 50's neighborhood (once the burbs, now considered "inside the loop"). It was once farmland, and before that it was blackland prarie, so our soil is TEH AWESOME. There is a little market in the center of the neighborhood with an IGA and pharmacy. There's a little herbalist shop and acupuncture. The public library and...