or Connect

Posts by Pookietooth

My son is not autistic, but he does have anxiety (including social anxiety) and sensory processing disorder, and he pretty much does what your son does, except that he uses a computer and has made his own computer game and worked on games others he's met online have done. If your son is nonverbal, does this mean that he is also unable to type in words? Have you tried various assistance devices to help him be able to communicate?
My interests are not really going to work for us, since they involve things my kids don't like -- hiking, concerts, and reading (I actually don't read anymore anyway, nor do I hike or go to concerts, so I guess you could say I have no interests right now). My nine year old likes computer games, Star Wars, making clay things, and that's about it, so there aren't any clubs for those (he does take a clay studio class now though but the other kids in it are all teen girls)....
I have a friend in Tennessee, and she registers with a local Christian school (the only other option is to go through the local public schools, and there are a lot more requirements and interference from them). In WA, there is an annual test/assessment requirement, and some do assessments with a private unschool-friendly assessor. Others do the cheapest test option. They are not required to report the results, though.
I am subbing to this as I am in a freak out period myself, and too embarassed about it to go into the details, so I will just piggyback on your post. I am freaking out because we are totally isolated, and we have zero friends that we see these days, and I am realizing that my major depression has come back (or maybe never went away) and is interfering with unschooling and parenting and just plain old living. I am hoping seeing replies will make me feel a bit better.
That sounds awesome! I have ADHD too and my nine year old has some sensory issues among other things. I am subbing.
I have known some unschoolers who were vegetarian and/or vegan, and their kids were too. I don't know how much of it was choice or not, though. I have met three people who were brought up vegetarian who said that they could not eat meat without it making them very ill -- and one of them seemed to resent it (and had a lot of food issues and was in Weight Watchers, etc.). I don't know if this is because the gut flora is so different or what. And I would also agree that it...
We have relatively recently moved back to northern California after a stint in the Pacific Northwest. We thought that moving back here would give us more outdoor time, but we haven't really clicked with any of the homeschooling or unschooling families and we have had real trouble being motivated to do anything. I was hoping some of you could post what about your area makes it good (or not good) for unschooling, such as laws, weather, support groups, etc. I am posting...
I am sorry to admit that I haven't read all the posts yet, and I am pretty sure that I've posted to this or a similar thread, but I just wanted to post that yeah, I am a thread killer and an invisible poster. And I am also a conversation killer and pretty much friendless these days IRL, so I'm wondering if it is me?
I think it's also annoying when folks say that it's only rich privileged two income families who can homeschool. And what really gets me is when people say by pulling our kids out to homeschool we are depriving the other kids who can't afford to be homeschooled.  My mother kept me in public schools because she believed they were a good public service and an equalizer and all that, but I was traumatized, bullied, and my self-esteem was and still is very low due to the way...
My ds has my dh's last name and my dd has mine. It's a bit odd, but both our last names are two syllables and they don't really sound good hyphenated. I kind of wish we had given ds my last name as a second middle name and dh's last name to dd as a second middle name, but oh well, they will be ok either way. I had a coworker who was born and raised in Sweden who said that there the husband and wife have three choices: both take the husband's name, both take the wife's...