or Connect

Posts by Aletheia

DS3 came down with what I thought was a cold in early May.  6 weeks later, I'm still needing to clear his nose multiple times daily, we're struggling to nurse well, and then... bam: last week, enter the eczema.   DS1, now 6, was dairy/treenut/egg/wheat allergic and salicylate sensitive right out of the gate.  Now he is still dairy/treenut, and the salicylates continue to be but a minor problem.   DS2 reacts to detergents.   We're going to begin eliminating...
Hmm.  I would probably limit the length of the sessions between the children and the chickens, but not the number.  It'd be nice to end sessions before things get rough as much as possible, but definitely end them when/if they do get rough.  No need to be grumpy about it.  A simple, "oh, looks like the chickens need a break, and I have finger paints inside!" would probably suffice.  At least at first.  But the trick is that you'd have to be intentional about it....
Wowsers!  I only have three.  But here's what I think I would do.   I think I would probably concentrate on the three older ones, but individually.  Do you regularly make time for one-on-one time?  The 13 year old in particular could be brought to see things through your eyes, and getting one or two of the oldest three "on your side" could really help.  If you are worried that they would balk or roll eyes at the chores issues, you might instead ask them for advice...
What do you do with the sillies?  You know- the too goofy to even look at mom, let alone listen to mom sillies?   DS1 is 6.  Ds2 is 4.  And the two of them together, lately, are trouble.  Make that Trouble.  I've heard the words fart, poop, pee and toot more in the past four days than I've yet heard in my entire life.  They are rarely destructive, but frequently messy, and tend to get silly (and here's the rub) when something needs to happen.     And lately the...
I find two things help me in times like these:   1) get sick.  Or pretend to be sick.  :)  It takes a house full of sick kids, or just me being sick, to realize my standards have crept wayyy past the basics.  When things get bad, I try to remember that feeling I get when illness (or our recent plumbing debacle) have made me relax my standards a bit... and realize that things do get better.     2)  I keep Unconditional Parenting and Playful Parenting next to my...
My DS2 began biting as a young toddler.  We tried all that has been suggested here, but he always bit in frustration and anger, not just in experimentation or silliness.  We started keeping an Under the Nile soft stuffed teether nearby, and I can still remember the importance of keeping it nearby so that we could quickly hand "Bitey Frog" to DS2 when he needed it.  Poor Bitey Frog.  He took it well, though, and eventually we got two Bitey Babies so that one could always be...
Thank you for your responses.   mary934, I particularly like your reminder that "not saying no does not mean you are saying yes."  I was just realizing the other day that many of the times I do say no should be "wait," either because I need to think it through or I need to set some parameters without prohibiting the activity in its entirety.   And LLQ1011, he is definitely testing how the mommy works, probably because so far his testing has been largely...
Our middle son, age 4.5, has recently been very big into making superfluous demands.  I suspect he is feeling insecure (the littlest is just now 1 and seems suddenly less like a baby and more like competition, I'm sure) and needing reassurance that we love and value him.  I am doing all I can to meet that need (including trying to convince DH that that need a) exists, and b) is causing the unwelcome behaviors.)   But.   Until he finds his place and reassurance,...
Things sound really rough for you right now!  You can almost count on things being totally better in another month, but in the meantime...   Is she just now 6 months?  There is a growth spurt at 6 months, and if she is too distracted to eat well during the day, she could be even hungrier at night.   Have you begun solids?  If they are replacing, instead of supplementing milk, she is at a caloric disadvantage.  Make sure to only do solids right after...
Yikes!  Crawlers already?  Today, though, Mo did something I'd never heard of before.  He puts his hands out in front of him while sitting, and scoots his bottom towards his hands.  He traveled about 2 feet that way!  The big brothers thought it was hilarious, and all the laughing served as encouragement.  He loves them more than he loves me.     Thursday- so sorry you have no car right now.  I hate that feeling of not being able to leave, even though we rarely do...