or Connect

Posts by girlsaplenty

It worked! She's getting the drug!   Thank you, everyone, for viewing the video and reposting the link all over Facebook, Reddit, Tumblr, and more. Thank you for the calls, emails, and faxes to the drug company.   Genentech has reversed its stance and will allow Darlene access to pertuzumab for compassionate use.   Here's the story that ran on local TV last...
Nurse4u2no,   Thank you for your help! I'm thrilled to know there are so many caring people out there willing to join Team Darlene and help get this done!    
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC5v_b2RZ-w   This YouTube video is heartbreaking. The woman, Darlene, is a dear friend of mine. She is dying of breast cancer.   A promising new drug called pertuzumab is under FDA review right now. The earliest the FDA will approve it is June 8 and the manufacturer won't release it early for compassionate use.   Without the drug, Darlene is likely to die before June 8. With the drug, she has a good chance of stabilizing or...
Last summer my then-2-year-old picked up a pair of sunglasses from Wal-Mart. I didn't see her clutching them until we were in the parking lot and I went to buckle her into the carseat. No alarms went off, and no one noticed. The sunglasses were priced at $5 or $6. I was afraid to take them back into the store. I had just paid for $40 of stuff, and it was a huge hassle, with things ringing up at the wrong price, a cashier with a crummy attitude -- everything that could...
I think we've all experienced "toxic people" -- those exhausting-to-deal-with personalities that leave us feeling drained. People who are so negative and critical that they just suck all the fun and joy out of everything. My neighbor is toxic, and also a drama queen. Now, I've come to think of her children as toxic, too. I used to think it was just a phase, but I think their personalities are developing this way. Is it possible for a child to have a toxic...
I think the commercial was regional. (I'm in Florida.) I e-mailed and called the TV station to complain that night, and the next morning I was watching another station's morning news and saw a shortened version of the commercial that didn't use the word "whipping." I called that station to tell them that while I was glad they didn't use the full-length version, it was still offensive. I also called Mercury/Ford's toll-free number and complained, but the man who...
Has anyone else seen the TV commercial for the Mercury Mountaineer? The one with the theme of "going behind the woodshed?" I was watching the news tonight and wasn't paying attention to the commercials until I heard something about it being time to go behind the woodshed. Throughout the commercial there were multiple references to the woodshed or going behind the woodshed. Near the end of the ad there was a reference to whipping. It was whipping the competition, or the...
I like the Tightwad Gazette. I own all three volumes and pull them off the shelf to reread every now and then. But I have discovered that many of the things Amy Dacyzyn does to save money in expensive Maine are break-even time-wasters here in cheap Florida. It just doesn't pay for me to grow and can my own vegetables. It used to pay for me to shop yard sales, but now that my children are a little older (and wearing bigger sizes) and the price of gasoline has...
I'm following the advice my mother gave me: Don't try to be Even-Steven, because you can't always be. By that I mean, don't get the kids used to the idea that when child No. 1 gets something, child No. 2 should expect to receive exactly the same thing. For example, if I find a great sale on clothes in dd1's size, I go ahead and buy some things and don't worry if I can't find anything in dd2's or dd3's sizes. I always explain that different kids get different things at...
My mother *broke her back* in a trampoline accident. She was supervised, as it happened during a high school gym class. She was jumping properly, but one time she landed funny and was sent careening onto the springs. She's had several back surgeries since then and lives with chronic back pain. Diana