or Connect

Posts by pacificcheryl

I would love to join this thread. 5'6"& 160# That's the first time I've stepped on the scale in months.
Today is a new day.  DD started a new school.  This school is only 4 days a week which will allow us to have more time with our precious DD.  The school is new, but already has a great reputation for facilitating community and friendships among the students and families.   The old school is going to focus on building healthy relationships in the class that DD attended.  I just don't see that much healthy change happening without strong supportive family involvement....
You brought up so many good points.  The original girl,"Libby" has many supportive grown ups, but I would have to say that her mother takes "self absorbed" to a level I didn't know existed.  There is also a race among some of these parents to grow their young child into a mini adult.  I just don't get it.  I cherish childhood.    I worry that my daughter might become a "mean girl" in order to fit in.  I worry that waiting for a school to fix a problem that has gone on...
Agdurannie, I'm glad that you chimed in.  I had an interesting discussion with an educator about this recently.  She asked the kids who were studying different mammals at what age these mammals reproduced and then asked about humans and when they could reproduce. When the kids said 13 or 14 she asked them if they thought that this was wise and they thought about it and said, "no".  She told them that at his age kids need to be focusing on learning and playing and that...
We are working on making her relationship more solid with a good friend that she does have at school.  She has a total of 10 girls in the classroom.  She is definitely attracted to the girls that are causing her pain.  I had lunch with one of their mothers last week and it was productive.  She and I are both working on talking about how friends treat one another and standing up for yourself and others. We are looking at changing schools as we may move to another district...
A good gift might be a great book bag, homemade bookmarks, and a reading light.  There are some great books out there that she may not have read yet such as the Grace Lin books for kids,  The Greene Knowe books, which are magical and intriguing as well as the Cornelia Funke books.  Can you ask her what she has read?   She might be ready for The Gaia Girls :-)   I love the amazing amount of great books out there for kids!   Hope this helps!
Quote: Switching schools may be necessary.  I have been worried that we would encounter the same bully behavior wherever she went and that we would not be allowing her to gain social skills that are needed later on but I am feeling really bad for her.  A small community of learners should be elated to see one another when they bump into each other.   I feel that girls at this age should jump up and down and hold hands when they see each other and they have been in such a...
  I have only spoken with the teachers 1:1 and they have advised me that DD should look for friends outside of her class in the grade above and below her.  The school is a very well established school that tries too support a community feeling but when the culture at home is not supportive or aware I am not sure if the school can "fix" this.  I will have to go to the school this fall with a letter.  Another mother will write a letter as well.  There is a board but I have...
We send our 7 y/o dd to a small charter school in our neighborhood.  There are only 16 children in the class.  She has been bullied by 2 "friends" for years.  I was hoping that by 3rd grade things would settle down.  The bullying is often subtle, but always cruel.  These children don't play with her, but they do intervene when she plays with mutual friends.  The other "friends" will drop her for the opportunity to play with the "queen bees".  I have tried having them...