or Connect

Posts by MissSJ

I was going to mention K12 Virtual Academy but somebody beat me to it!  A friend of mine is doing this with her son and enjoys learning along with him while my neighbors did it with both their middle school age son and their daughter completed high school a year early.   Do you live near any community college or state schools?  Some schools have programs where high school students can attend college for free and receive dual credit (for the high school and for...
Does anyone here use Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding for their science spine?  If so, what do you like/what don't you like about it?  Santa, who strongly supports homeschooling ;) , brought the book for our family and we are excited to get started.  For those of you that use a different spine for lower elementary - what do you use? what is it like?    SJ
Hi Everyone, I HS my two boys (6 and 4) and am excited to start delving into history.  I feel like the Classical method for teaching history is going to fit the best for our family but I wanted to start earlier than the ancient period.  To satisfy my oldest son's curiosity of where the earth came from and who were the first people we have decided to start with the big bang, followed by the first life on earth, the dinosaurs, early mammals and the evolution of humans. ...
I would also complain!  I highly recommend Amazon when ordering for Christmas.  I made an order on the 19th and after the items shipped I received an email from Amazon that a part of my order probably wouldn't make it by Christmas so they sent a second one with expedited overnight shipping to ensure I would have it by Christmas.  They said to just return the duplicated item for free by just returning the package to sender.  I was pretty impressed that they kept track of...
I have been at my wits end with my 6yo ds.  He can be such a sweet boy but at times it is like he loses himself in anger.   Here is what happened this morning, how would you have responded?   The boys had constructed a game involving their costumes.  DS1's role in the game had him putting on multiple costumes.  Since he had so many layered costumes on already he was having difficulty putting on another and needed help.   I was attempting to cook potstickers...
To the people who selected "No" in the poll - what grade is your child in? They don't mention the Constitution at all or the period surrounding it at your local district? What state are you in? Come back and tell me more! Unless you are not in the US!
Quote: Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl In other words "He Who Must Not be Named" is full of hooey. I agree.
Good question lach! I started thinking about this too after I posted the first post. On further thought I think when she says Constitution she means - the freedoms in the Constitution/Bill of Rights, the historical context, the issues surrounding the Revolutionary War, the Declaration of Independence, the writing of the Constitution and the issues surrounding it, the founders, the Bill of Rights, Federalists/Anti-federalists, etc. To be honest, MIL is parroting what she...
Hi everyone, I am constantly hearing from my MIL and from a friend of mine that the Constitution is no longer taught in schools. Since my boys are not old enough for myself to have direct experience with this I was hoping that some of you could tell me about this. I just told my MIL that it is hard for me to believe they don't teach this in schools today and that perhaps the problem is that kids just aren't that interested so they aren't retaining what they learn - but...
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I ended up putting the sleeping bag through a rinse cycle, soaking it overnight in Nature's Miracle Just For Cats Urine Destroyer, putting it in the sun to dry, washing in the washing machine and then drying again in the sun. It did the trick, dh has a really sensitive nose and couldn't smell a thing! I am going to be better at cleaning the litter boxes, hopefully that will do the trick. Otherwise I may try that litter that...