or Connect

Posts by savithny

Adn I've read about tick tubes - those can cut down on the ticks, because it interrupts their life cycle.   (as a side note, if there aren't a lot of deer in the area, your tick count is also going to be lower.
I can't rmemeber brand - I just disposed of leftovers because they were approaching expiration.  I do not use the highest percentage formulation of DEET, but there's a base percentage you need.  I also have used another compound taht has been shown to repel ticks specifically.  There are also sprays that you can use on clothes, and use them on outerwear like jackets, and the outside of the clothes.   There are even speciality clothing from outdoor stores that is...
To let you know my "credentials" here:   In 2009 my then-9yo was one of the earliest Lyme cases in my county.    We never saw a tick, he never had a bullseye rash, and he went straight to Lyme meninngitis, one sided facial paralyis with same sided limb weakness.   Nearly the worst case scenario.    Fortunately we caught it quickly, but treatment was incredibly unpleasant, and included head CTs, a spinal tap, MRIs, multiple blood draws and a month of IV antibiotics via an...
Yeah, I searched this one up and down and sideways a few years ago. WHO does not actually provide rankings in the cited article. I went back to 1980 and found an article that named the options but did not numerically rank in the way everyone cites them. It reminds me of the xkcd cartoon about citation genesis. Everyone now quotes Weissinger quoting WHO, and no one goes to any original source.
  You've never had to think about it before because you, too, have bought into the cultural narrative that says "thin=healthy."    The idea that you only have to "think about it" and worry about good nutrition if you're overweight is a really dangerous fallacy in US culture.  It's incredibly common, so most people don't question it.   Deli meat isn't the best, its true.  But "processed" is a relative term.  Good deli turkey,for instance, is preserved with salt and some...
There's a big misconception among many people that thin=healthy, and I see it playing out in a number of ways.  Some of them do show up in your post.   I'm just going to throw them out here:   Since thin=healthy: Thin people are all healthy Thin people don’t need to worry about nutrition Whatever a thin person is eating must be healthy since it keeps them thin If a person is thin, they don’t need to exercise because they must get enough A fat...
We used a breadmaker for years and made great bread that didn't taste like acetone -- both white and wheat.   We really only stopped when DH got a copy of the "Artisan Bread in 5" book, and has been hand-baking ever since (though he's graduated to sourdough and the stand mixer).     I agree with the others that the first thing I'd check is the wheat flour.    "Bad" whole wheat flour doesn't taste rotten or stinky, it just has a bitter, "off" flavor.      Did you...
Yet another patronizing "I suppose if you can't give your baby the absolute best, you need to tell yourself it's okay to make yourself feel better" response about pumped milk. It's a wonder anyone bothers to pump at this point, given that this is the party line about whether pumping is even worth it. I, personally, have never felt that my kid got fed bronze-medal nourishment, so arguments about me just feeling guilty are off base, but I would like to be able to...
Even when I was home on leave and didn't "have" to get up, I got up with DH.   I nursed the baby until while DH showered, got baby full and content, even if not asleep, handed him off to DH, and hopped in the shower.     (I have an adorable picture taken after I showered, of DH, stlll in his bathrobe in an easy chair, reading in the morning sunlight with DS (about 5 weeks old) drowsing in his lap.  It looks like they're reading together...)   In the first weeks, DH...
My husband and I split shifts when #1 was an infant.  I worked half-time, until noon, while DS stayed home with Daddy.      Daddy fed him bottles.   Of breastmilk.   Neither of my kids ever had a drop of formula, and I worked hard to make that happen.   And DS was happy and comfortable with his daddy.  Taking his daily bottle.  From Dad.  Of breastmilk.   Without me working at that time, we would not have had health insurance.     If I'd quit that job and had to...