or Connect

Posts by savithny

Is death the only thing that matters?    Because even as death rates from measles dropped due to better care for acute complications such as pneumonia, the case rate stayed the same and so did the rate of complications such as measles encephalitis.  It was still occurring at about 1 in 1000 cases at the time of vaccine introduction.   Sure, it only killed about 20% of patients outright, but it also caused permanent brain injuries in some patients who survived.
  This is the term I was thinking of -- executive function. Impulse control and personal discipline are executive functions.    Getting up for school is a lot more than just "Oh, that's the alarm, I should get up."   There has to be level on top that says "I *need* to get up, because I have the following steps to accomplish before I leave the house."   Executive function skills come with both age and practice.  You can't expect a kid who is too young to exhibit adult...
I remember reading one UC birth/death story here, about a footling breech.  It was posted very early in the morning by someone who had been regular poster since before her pregnancy (years?).  For some reason, it was deleted within a few hours.    The poster posted a few times again a few months later but never mentioned her loss again.     It's possible that some people with losses are uncomfortable posting the stories here, either because they're afraid the anti-UC...
There are lots of answers, but in my experience different people found different things useful, which suggests that there are multiple causes of the pain.   I used to have very cystic breasts, but for me, they got much less so after pregnancy and breastfeeding.    Being on hormonal birth control made the swelling much worse - it was one of the reasons I stopped that.  That was the biggest thing that worked!   Some friends found cutting way back on caffeine...
And sufficient exposure to dihydrogen monoxide is fatal if you either ingest or breathe it, yet it CONTINUES TO BE SOLD IN EVERY GROCERY STORE!! It is even dispensed free in public schools to the children of unwary parents!
Our district solved the sequential bus use problem seveal years ago by following the late start data. All the elementaries start at 8am, then the middle schools start at 9, and I think the high school starts a bit later (they can save on buses because more kids have to be bused to elementaries based on the different rules for distance from school for elementary vs secondary students). It's been that way for five or six years now, and seems to work well for most people. ...
The more I dig into my family history, collect stories from older relatives about THEIR older relatives, the more I believe that ADHD has always been with us, and it's effects are exacerbated by modern lifestyle. (I blelive the same thing of sensory issues, too). You can go back generations in my family, to before thimerosol containing vaccines, to before coal burning plants and their mercury fallout, and you can see the signs of ADHD, of sensory disorders. The great...
Exactly.Also, there are two separate issues here, both of which often (usually) need to be modeled or taught. There's consideration. ... And then there is future planning.It is both "Do I care if there are no ice cream sandwiches for my sister? " and "this is all the ice cream sandwiches we will have as a family for the week. What is the best, fairest, or optimal way to consume them?"(as a meal planner, I could never free range feed the whole family, because one...
Yeah, the "connect with Facebook" button freaks me out, too.   I don't post here under my real name, but I Facebook as my real self.   I'm constantly worried I'm going to click the dratted thing and somehow my posts will be linked with my real name either here or there.      I HATE "connect with facebook" feature on sites with comment threads.   I won't comment in a thread or on a blog post or news article that auto-links to facebook.  I find it creepy when I read a...
If feta was a problem, you should be aware that while some feta is cow milk, many feta cheeses are made with sheeps milk or goat milk. If you can find out, that would give you a clue.