or Connect

Posts by savithny

I read an article in the LA Tmes about 15 years ago that changed the way I cook beans. The food writer observed that many bean-eating cultures don't bother to soak, they just cook longer. He cooked beans unsealed, quick soaked, and overnight soaked, and everyone reported that the unsmoked beans tasted the best. They also didn't take that much longer to cook. I don't worry about soaking beans. Wash in several changes of water and then cook in lightly salted...
A few thoughts: Whole grains tend to turn rancid, not rotten. More so if stored at room temp. Its best to store them in the freezer if you can. (and this issue is why even early farmers and traditional people almost all removed the bran from their grains for storage, and why around the world non-whole grains are considered more of a delicacy. They keep longer and taste sweeter without the rancid outer layer. People knowingly sacrificed the nutrition of the bran...
Whoever said teacher has never actually met or shadowed one, right? Wth rising class loads and lots of test prep, you've got paper to grade, lessons to plan. In the early grades, our teachers assess reading and math levels by regularly pulling the kids aside one by one and working with them, while simultaneously keeping the rest of the class on track. Later grades you're trying to teach them to write, which means constructive criticism regularly, and critical thinking...
Our district went to later starts for middle and high school about five years ago. There's lots of evidence that it improves attendance an test scores, lowers truancy and behavior issues. Side effect for home life is that with less unsupervised time it also appears to lower pregnancy rates in some communities. My kids aren't to high school yet, though my oldest is in middle school. So my kids have not moved to later rising. They both are up with th birds, and always...
  As far as raw meat theory, read "Catching Fire" by Richard Wrangham, on how long we've been cooking (so long that we have evolved along with the concept of cooking) and the benefits of cooking to the human diet (essentially, he argues convincingly that cooking was a major factor that allowed us to become fully human).  
  I am so glad to see you saying this, because it's so true.  Especially the idea that it's just a matter of applying a simple equation.   I'm glad for her that she'll ahve someone in her life who will support her in being healthy without equating health with thinness.   I've been reading a lot about food and metabolism, not from an ideological ("Pure Foods!  Grain Free!   Go Paleo!   No, Go Vegan!") standpoint, but history and science.   While you'er looking up the...
I wonder if you might find some useful resources at some Health At Any Size (HAES) blogs?     My DD is built like a belgian workhorse,  She's never going to be a graceful arabian.  But she's strong, and fit, and sturdy.   So we talk about feeding your body good foods to keep it strong, and staying active, but we also talk about how different bodies have different natural shapes.   My great-grandmother was born in 1890 and was very tall for the time (5'8") and...
WIth #1, water broke, presumably, with full dilation.  It pretty much marked "Time to push!"   My contractions changed to urge-to-push surges.   With #2, I was laboring in the tub, thinking "hm, it feels better if I bear down a bit when the stabby back pain hits" and my water broke with a pop and she dropped immediately to crowning and basically fell out on the next contraction.
It's pretty well-established that actual paleolithic people, eating a real paleo diet and nursing toddlers, had child spacings of 3-4 years apart at a minimum.    It's healthy, yes -- but your body is not getting the "get fertile now!" signals it needs in order to resume cycling effectively.
Hm.    I have no problem eating things containing raw eggs, and I let the kids eat batters that contain raw eggs, and soft-cooked yolks.   But given the issues that people have with that, I'd ask permission before letting someone else's kid eat raw or undercooked egg at my house.      Given that multiple recent forays into raw-milk-on-the-farm sales in my county have ended with outbreaks of campylobacter or other illnesses, I'd want to know if that was part of...