or Connect

Posts by savithny

Some of the farms I buy from have gotten certified by an organization called "Animal Welfare Approved.". It requires farm visits and meeting a checklist of practices etc. I'm on my iPod but I know they have a website, because when the place I get my eggs finished the Process they had brochures at their farmstand with the info.
  Yes, but the last time I remember a woman who feared for her children's safety took legal advice from a bunch of women on MDC who told her to go run and hide and go extralegal and write special letters about asserting her special rights --- she wound up losing her children permanently to the abuser, because she did something grossly illegal that multiple people with actual knowledge of actual law had said not to do.   Those of us who saw that go down -- and who are...
Oh, yeah! I actually think Power of Three may have been my gateway drug, though I found her as a kid or tween and don't remember for sure. It was published as part of a really awesome series in the 80s called ... Magicqust, I think? It was an edited series of fantasy that was either for kids or totally kid appropriate, and it was like a survey course of magical books and I wish I'd been able to find and buy more of them.Charmed life and Witch Week have the advantage...
JK Rowling was heavily, HEAVILY influenced by Diana Wynne Jones.   At her age I'd start her on the Chrestomanci books -- probably start with Witch Week, then Charmed Life, then Lives of Christopher Chant.   See how she likes them.   For some STUPID reason?  Chrestomanci books (pointed at younger kids) are coded as YA at Barnes and Noble, while Howls Moving Castle (more of a tween/teen romantic fantasy) is coded as Juv.  
my coworker had to go on bedrest and was eligible for short-term disability coverage.  It didn't cover her entire income, but it was better than no money coming in at all. Is that a benefit available at your workplace?   You'd have to see some kind of healthcare provider to document the need for it, though. 
Each pregnancy loosens more of the tissues that hold your abdomen together.  Every birth changes how your muscles and tendons work.     Fetal positioning can make a big difference in how you carry and how you feel -- I actually carried my second MUCH more compactly than my first, but usually it goes the other way.    Hormone variations come not just from pregnancy but from your everyday life as well.     And age makes a difference, too, in how your body responds and...
  When I have to be in a situation in which I have a hard time communicating, I've found that writing a script works.   If need be, maybe you could write a letter and read it to the doctor.   Or write a FAQ about your son?       I will often, for things like this, have a bulleted list of points I want to make sure I make, and questions I want to make sure I get answered.   I have found it helps a lot when I'm otherwise overwhelmed about the fact I have to *communicate* in...
  As another former gifted kid (though I don't remember my fave toys at six months), I can say that my favorite toys were not very different from what everyone else was playing with.  I just played with some of them differently.     That's why open-ended toys are so awesome, because everyone plays with them at their own level (or depth!).      With blocks and wooden trains, I was likely building a scene from a book I'd read when I was 3, while my preschool classmates...
Yeah -- its probably not homogenized.   When I was growing up, for awhile we were getting milk that was non-homogenized (but it was pasteurized), and you have to shake it up really, really well (though the fat has a tendency to cling to the sides).   Did you ever pump breastmilk and see it separate over time?  It's the same deal.
French toast or bread pudding are good options.   I'd also try it as the substrate for a welsh rabbit -- good cheese melted with eggs and beer or tomato juice.    Plate it in the kitchen and let it sit a bit and soak up the liquid.   Slices as crouton on top of soup -- slice it, top with cheese and broil until the cheese bubbles, then float it on soup.   Breadcrumbs -- there are lots and lots of traditional dishes that combine breadcrumbs with vegetables --...