or Connect

Posts by savithny

From the other side, a group swim lesson is absolutely a place where the teacher needs to expect a certain level of "schooly" behavior, have rules and expect them to be followed.  They should be reasonable rules, and it helps to explain to the kids why you have them, and I don't see any need to reinforce them with candy.   But a group lesson, by its nature, needs at least some structure to it.   A few years back there was an unschooling family signed up for group...
Hm......   I'm beginning to think someone has a BUNCH of stock in a pharmaceutical company that makes vitamin D supplements.   It would be one explanation for the way the same stuff is spamming all over every single forum over and over again....
I read voraciously throughout childhood; my parents read to me a lot and I picked up things on my own.  I'd find a book or author I liked and work my way down the shelf in the library I'd found it on.  I'd find a book that was part of an edited series or collection and read everything else listed in the frontpapers as part of the series.  My father (an english teacher) would see me pacing around and fidgeting for somethign to read and would hand me something off the...
  Sourdough bread starter with wheat gets that same gooey texture.   Not only that -- but in reading up on sourdoughs, it turns out that if you use a long enough standing period, the resulting bread *can* have so much of its gluten consumed by fermentation that it is technically (by percentage gluten) "Gluten free!"    The researchers who found that didn't claim that it was the equivalent of truly gluten-free for those wtih allergies, but said that some loaves made with...
If anyone is putting together a list of terminology, it should include things like definitions of things like primary sources secondary sources, peer review, editorial ownership, how to research organizitons and foundations, and maybe some basic research methodological terms like quantitative, qualitative, meta-analysis, retrospective, etc. Long ago, when public access Internet terminals were a brand new addition to the university library where I worked, I went into grad...
  If TWWS and Orac disappeared tomorrow, there would still be people calling you asses and loonies elsewhere.*   It is the nature of the internet.  Public boards -- even those requiring registration -- are public.   Always have been.  Blogs?  Public.  Livejournal?  Public.    You cannot simultaneously host a public discussion of an issue and ensure that the public cannot hear it and cannot dissect your ideas elsewhere.  The only way to make sure that no one calls you an...
Well, I don't soak rice, but we have been working with the same sourdough culture for years now, so some similar issues.   Over time, your starter gets more and more sour if you don't regularly feed it unsour material, take most of the starter away, and "go again" with only a little bit of starter and a lot of fresh flour/water.    I'd wonder if the same is happening to you, which is why the recipes recommend that you only use 2/5s of your liquid and use fresh for...
The only phonics I remember were the fun exercises on Electric Company.   The new version isn't the same, but the old one is available on DVD and can be rented (and maybe streamed?)   And the newer PBS  show "between the lions" has a lot of phonics made fun adn reading tips and tricks.
Yep, I graduated in 1987.   In junior high, two (male) teachers had paddles hanging on the wall next to the chalkboard.   The paddles had names.       And they weren't decorative.  I remember coming back from a doctors appointment and walking down the hall during class and seeing someone being paddled.      Everyone hit kids.  All the time.  As a matter of course.  It was considered not just okay, but necessary.  Teachers, parents, neighbors, principals --...
Just using the ADA as a basis for this.   There's no obligation to disclose any disability, and medical records are private.  However, if you don't disclose, a disability cannot be used as a way to later avoid disciplinary action or expulsion.