or Connect

Posts by siobhang

I get envious of how easy parenting some kids can be. My youngest is the kind of kid that GD and a lot of the parenting advice stuff works well for because he is just a "go along" kind of kid. He is far from perfect, but if he were my only, I would truly believe that raising kids is easy. My oldest? Ha. He is much more of a challenge, and while dh and I celebrate his personality and respect his needs, and think that he is 10000% worth all the effort, he sure isn't an easy...
my biggest issue with these sorts of comments is that they really are accusing you of bad parenting. The "there is nothing wrong with your child, it is YOU who has the problem" feeling that I think a lot of parents of SN kids get (esp. those needs that are not obvious or unfamiliar). For example, my oldest has aspergers as well as hypoglycemia and anxiety. I have been told by many well meaning people that if only we did x or y, his behavior would improve (x and y being...
we had three au pairs over a period of 6 years and it worked really well for us. We switched to a nanny share last year and now are doing daycare. I miss the flexibility of having an au pair and the fact she lived in, especially during the snow storms last winter when dh and I had to work (we work from home) but our nanny could not get to our house and all the schools and daycares were closed. btw, there are some old threads about au pairs here.
I hjave a 6 1/2 yr old and a 4 1/2 yr old. DH and I both work full time M-F 40+ hours each (more often it gets into 50 or 60 hurs - we run a business). How do we cope? We work from home, we have great childcare, I run the business so I set my hours (I do a fair amount when the kids are asleep). It ain't always fabulous, but most of the time I really am grateful for what we have managed to build.
subbing
My friend's dad works for NASA, he is 64 and from Iran originally (so no vax at all as a child). He was informally diagnosed with aspergers when he was in his late 50s and says that pretty much everyone who works at NASA is aspie. Ditto MIT, Silicon Valley, and many academic institutions. High functioning became geeks and nerds or those quirky people that no one really understood. low functioning were warehoused and hidden, labeled mentally retarded, schizophrenic or...
The preschool uses Ms First name The elementary school requires Mr/Ms last name The parents of their neighborhood friends get Mr/Ms first name OR Mr/Ms lastname (since my kids often don't know their friend's parents names) or sometimes "{friend's} mom" Other neighbors are Mr/Mrs whatever the person prefers (first name is common) Church is generally Ms/Mr first name Close family friends are first name. I really prefer my kids to use Ms or Mr in addressing adults unless the...
population control sterilization BC incentives they all amount to someone else - someone with more power- deciding who is worthy to reproduce, which is a form of eugenics. Cash incentives not only are not really practical, but they amount to a form of coersion when dealing with highly impoverished individuals. Cash and food incentives have been used in developing countries targeted at "unworthy" women, sometimes based on disability, poverty, criminal background,...
Quote: Originally Posted by marimara Some people don't think you need religion to get to God. and some people don't think you need God to have religion.
my oldest started preschool at nearly 3. My youngest started the day he turned two. The difference was in their personalities - my oldest was not ready until he was 2 1/2 at the earliest. My youngest was ready well before he turned 2, believe it or not. Go with what works for your kid and you, and ignore the rest.