or Connect

Posts by siobhang

Quote: Originally Posted by KaylaBeanie Subbing! Not a mama yet, but I will raise kiddos to be atheist/agnostic and will not attend church of any kind. It makes me nervous, because I come from a religious family and America is still such a conservative, religious country. I worry that my kids will feel left out honestly, one big reason I joined the UU church is as cover for my kids. Church is BIG here - and it helped so much to have my kids be...
is it grainy after 6 hours? I just took my yogurt out of my yogurt maker (salton - a friend gave it to me) and it was really lovely. You are right about the temperature - it has to be between 90-110 degrees. I wonder if the yogurt is picking up any flavors from the oven?
I am currently making these http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...rackers-2.html
yes, absolutely!
Some ideas for you. 1. find a flavor of yogurt at the store you like. I really like dannon. I also like greek yogurt. 2. get organic milk if you can. I find that it tastes nicer. I also prefer whole fat yogurt but I like my yogurt creamy. 3. stir in a 1/3rd cup of non-fat dry milk - that will make it creamer. 4. I find the shorter I let it sit, the less tart it gets. Try it at 6 hours and see what you think. 5. what is the average temp of the oven...
Quote: Originally Posted by dawningmama It is a sign of the kyriarchy that men rarely to never get asked this kind of question. That said, one of the reasons I do work is because for us to really live on one salary, that person would have to pretty much sell their soul to corporate culture and work 60 or more hours per week. I don't want that for either of us, and I don't want either parent absent from the family home that many hours a week. So,...
slow cookers are perfect for broth. cook on high for 1 hour, then on low for 12-24 hours.i make a ton and freeze - I measure it out by cups - one cuppers, two cuppers, and three cuppers.
Check your employer's policies - many have explicit requirements for childcare while on the clock. My company does and we are probably the most baby friendly place around. In my experience, it is hard to be consistent when caring for a kid, and many jobs need that level of consistency. It is great if you have a job where you can just not work one day if the baby is having a growth spurt or whatever, but very few positions are like this. I worked for two months...
Honestly, they sound bored. Bored kids are loud, especially if it gets your attention. and most 4 and 5 year olds are loud anyway and it is totally developmentally appropriate for them to have trouble with voice modulation, especially for extended periods of time. I think you need to address the boredom and break up the day into "loud/high energy" activities and "quiet activities" -where the quiet activities overlap with naptime. Nothing gets my kids all quiet and...
Let me recommend two of my favorite books on sociobiology of childcare/mothering behavior. Dr Sarah Hrdy: Mother Nature Dr Sarah Hrdy: Mothers and others Dr Hrdy looks both cross culturally and cross-species for scientific evidence of what is culturally based vs what is hard wired into humans for parenting practices. To look at what is hard wired and what is culturally based, you gotta go back a lot further than 200 years ago. You gotta go back 20,000 + years ago...