or Connect

Posts by siobhang

Quote: Originally Posted by DarkPassenger Other. Don't believe in a god, but part of an organized religion. me too. UU atheist here.
for what it is worth, in the UK, Asian generally means someone from the Indian subcontinent or Pakistan. I believe they use the term Oriental or far east asian to refer to folks from China, Japan, Korean, or South East Asian for Vietnamese, Thai, Laotian, etc.
My mom worked for Unicef and we traveled to developing countries a fair amount as a child. So I saw a lot of women nursing their babies, and my mom told me how it was best for babies, especially where there is no clean water, etc. I then went on to work for a child survival program where we promoted extended breastfeeding and good nutrition. It was a foregone conclusion that I would try to nurse my own kids for the minimum of two years as stated by WHO. I had a breast...
what she said.
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebirdiemama Intrinsic value, by definition, is something that cannot be separated ffrom the person. It is not something that could have evolved over time. Of course it could have evolved - culturally- over time - and the extension of universal value and respect for all humans is pretty recent (last 100 years or so). There is a strong case for natural evolution of morality and ethics because human groups who...
I think you need to think about the problem from a different perspective. Do you believe in Gnomes? why not? How can you prove that gnomes don't exist? What about invisible martians or unicorns or flying spaghetti monsters? Ridiculous, right? Atheism, for me, is the statement that there is no evidence of a god or cognitive supreme power that caused any particular outcome or has any direct or indirect influence in human lives. And therefore, it is unethical and wrong to...
You didn't mention why you want private school. Not all private schools are created equal - a friend of mine went to a very poor Catholic school in a town with excellent public schools - her parents felt the religious aspect was more important than the quality of education (they were also in denial about how bad the school was). in DC metro, schools run $10k-$35k a year. Some christian schools are cheaper/offer discounts based on financial need.
Quote: Originally Posted by monkeybum . Employee #1 - ... constantly tries to delegate "up" to me, refuses to do certain things b/c she says it's my job, just let's things drop that have to get done, but she is managing a huge volume of work and many of the things she's letting drop, I have to pick up or they won't get done. Employee #2 - ... very negative, yells at me and her Mgr regularly, refuses to "share" processes, (EE#1 and I are fairly new),...
as PPs have said, don't make any decisions before you have to. There could be a million reasons why it won't work the way you predict so opt for flexibility at this point. That said, the 8 weeks off/8 weeks part time sounds like not a bad plan. You might even see if you can agree to do tiny amounts of work from home (like checking email, sitting in on conference calls) to extend your leave and also make the transition back a little easier. We have a woman about to take...
get your husband's company to offer health insurance and offer it to you (most group plans need a minimum of 2 people to quality). If you are an employee of the company, you qualify for insurance and your dh can cover your daughter. The rules for group/company offered insurance are different than individual insurance. basically, if they accept you at all, they HAVE to cover all employees (they can raise the premiums 1x per year).