or Connect

Posts by siobhang

I agree with the PPs- she may be mentally and physically exhausted after school. My ds2 is 4 and is totally wiped out on the days he goes to school (3 days a week). He loves school and it is great for him, but if we don't let him nap/rest/eat well immediately after school, he is a total nightmare the rest of the day. Also, what sort of snack are they providing her at school? and she has a good healthy breakfast before school? My older son is hypoglycemic and therefore is...
DS1 is in 1/2 day PM K, where they have snack in the cafeteria around 1:30pm. If they buy their snack, the options are choc milk, reg milk or juice. But since my son is hypoglycemic, juice is a big no-no, especially since "snack" is usually actually lunch (they get on the bus at 11:20 and we rarely get him to eat a full proper lunch before going to school). However, I had to get a dr's note telling them that he HAD to have milk and not juice. Seriously, a note from the...
after years of au pairs and a nanny, we are now looking seriously at a daycare center that also has afterschool care. The main reason is that now that our boys are older, they want to be involved in more activities and socializing and the center is perfect for that. It is a community center with a pool, lessons and classes, in addition to the preschool curriculum for my youngest (my oldest will be in 1st grade). Nannys and au pairs were wonderful in terms of schedule -...
some tips: cook in advance, have lots of quick meals available, and be open about the definition of meals - dinner around here is sometimes porridge, eggs, or even cheese and crackers! try to use your breaks wisely - I do laundry during my work breaks, use my slow cooker in the am, take 10 minute cleaning breaks. Fly lady has some good tips. Focus on the important stuff - figure out the baseline for cleaning, household tasks, etc, and prioritize those. You don't need to...
Quote: Originally Posted by mustangtbn I rarely, if ever give in to fits. I can't think of a time I have. I do, however, give in to a persuasive argument on occasion if I think that my child really does have a good point. Also, generally when we go shopping, everyone (including me!) gets to pick out one inexpensive treat, which helps. If DD really wants that candy ring or whatever, she can choose to get it and put back the other treat, and I'm ok with...
In terms of childcare, you may also want to think of other options than daycare. We had an au pair for the first 5 years- three different young women over those years who lived in. Au pairs give 45 hours/49 weeks a year of childcare for a stipend and the au pair fee. It is about the same cost as a daycare (though cheaper if you have two kids) but gives you the flexibility of a nanny. Secondly, in terms of work from home - when I was pregnant with my second, I had a set...
Quote: Originally Posted by annie2186 For those of you who work at home, what kind of schedule do you have, how does YOUR day go?... Basically, I would like to hear how other momma's get it all done......sometiems just hearing other people's idea's and things give me alot of help. You can look at my siggy to see my kids ages. My oldest is homeschooled as well. Childcare. Childcare. Childcare. My schedule is a traditional 9-6pm - tho I am...
Quote: Originally Posted by june'smom Just for clarification, I am not planning on practicing law. I may go to law school, but combine it with my phd studies. Obviously, I also know that the job market sucks for academics and that school is stressful too. As far as contacting the HR dept., well my boss is the HR dept. It is a very small office. There are perks to that. I can sneak out 10 minutes early if I have an appointment, etc... Part...
I currently am considered to have a lot of self-discipline - I work from home, I run a business with a 100% flexible schedule, and I have two kids and a dh who always want something. In order to get everything done that needs to be done, I need a lot of self-discipline. But I am NOT by nature self-disciplined. So, how do I do it? First off, it is a learning process. Self-discipline is a skill, much like cooking, entertaining, financial management. You can read a book and...
There are a MINIMUM of two holidays during this period. Christmas and New Year's Day. New Year's day is a holiday, and it is technically Christian, since the Jewish and Muslem calendars both have different years/changing to the new year. So Happy Holidays is actually more accurate, and it is inclusive and (in my experience) less likely to offend. My 2 cents.