or Connect

Posts by siobhang

Quote: Originally Posted by columbusmomma I am curious as to what my children would be involved with if we attend a UU church? Is there sunday school per se, or something like that? what do kids do?? What types of activities and ideas are expressed? DS is 7 and DD 2.... Every church is different BUT most churches have an active RE program (religious education). Everyone starts off upstairs for the first 15 minutes, until the reflection for...
We just started our oldest in public school and he is having some problems, so we are trying to support him at home with additional practice on handwriting/fine motor skills. We also are or are planning additional enrichment and support work at home, and are wondering if anyone else can share their experiences with what they have done outside the classroom, when their kids are in public school full time. any concerns about conflicting with the lessons in school or...
me, I want ms. Frizzle for my kid's teacher.
Quote: Originally Posted by LauraLoo Yes - you said it much better. For ADHD, in particular, there are so many things to be ruled out *before* an ADHD dx. So, if someone only looks at behavior, but doesn't rule out potential underlying causes, you can easily have a misdiagnosis. I know that school funding can be limited for testing; It would be a shame to not do the due diligence necessary for the right dx *if* a dx was applicable. Agree...
I write in cursive much faster than printed. I never understood why cursive was seen as optional since the point of cursive is fast writing. Yes typing is important too, but sometimes the battery runs out or you gotta write a post it note...
Dear K teacher, 1. maxing out the DRA and telling me that my kid has already mastered all the math lessons you are assigning does not mean he is "on track". And being bad at coloring within the lines does not mean that he is "delayed". 2. If you are so concerned about my child's performance that you recommended him for special education assessment, I expect SOME communication with you on an ongoing basis. I should not have to ask for it. And I should be responded to...
Quote: Originally Posted by joensally That'd be a deal breaker for me, right there. In fact, I interviewed kindie teachers and flat out said "he will not do things as you expect or is typical - he won't colour the rainbow tidily or make the craft you plan. He'll have his own interpretation. How would you work with that?" . they are "supposed" to do differentiated instruction for K-2 (Gifted programs officially start at third grade), but so...
Quote: Originally Posted by minkin03 i'm having some similar issues with my dd as well. she just turned 6 in july and is in 1st grade. her teacher is hinting that she thinks dd is adhd, yet i don't really have any of the issues with her at home as the teacher does in class. so i'm reluctant to stick a label on her based on just this teacher's assesment (her kindergarten teacher never had any issues with her). so my question is should i go through the...
Thanks everyone. I have made a request for an appointment for a private eval, because it usually takes months to get the appointment. As someone said, I can always cancel it if needed. The school assessment is due Jan 12th. I get the feeling that the teacher is just waiting for the eval before trying to address anything with him, though I don't know because she has not contacted me at all other than the standard parent teacher conferene. However, I have just made a...
{lots of awesome advice snipped} Thank you. I really appreciate your experience. I do like a few members of the team - the guidance counselor, the vice principal, the school psychologist, and the social worker. I had an extended interview with the social worker and I definitely think he heard me about how with Ant, motivation and understanding what is going on is sooooooo important. The social worker hadn't seen/heard his reading assessment skills and seems surprised at...