or Connect

Posts by siobhang

Quote: Originally Posted by milkmamma What if that was the one time something unthinkable would happen. I guess I just cannot think what could happen to them? They are strapped into their carseats and are asleep, so they aren't going anywhere. The car is locked, and in plain view of many people, so the likelihood of someone stealing the car (a 97 ford contour, so not valuable) or the kids (you ever try lifting a sleeping 4 year old out of a...
Our au pair just came home in tears. It seems that she was out with the boys and wanted to take them to the playground, but didn't have any water or milk and she knew they'd be thirsty (they often have snacks after the playground). So she stopped off at 7-11 to grab a bottle of water and a bottle of milk. When she parked, right outside the door, she realized the boys were asleep. So she got out, locked the car door, walked the 20 feet to the 7-11 (with its huge...
Quote: Originally Posted by MamaBear1976 Hm. I wonder about this. In Jerusalem, in biblical times, didn't men even wear robes covering their whole bodies (probably out of modesty and protection from the sun)? That's how it's depicted in art, and perhaps it's an inaccurate depiction, but it seems to me that even in places where it's oppressively hot, people wear clothes. Or maybe that's just the Italian Renaissance interpretation of how people in...
Quote: Originally Posted by MamaBear1976 that is because in almost every culture that wears clothing, breasts are normally covered up. Covering up of breasts is almost uniquely western outside of climates where lots of clothing is needed for warmth. One of the first things missionaries would do in "pagan" cultures is convince the women to cover their breasts. Where I lived in Senegal (a Muslim country), our housekeeper would routinely walk...
Quote: Originally Posted by gargirl Hi Belgiansheepdog, There is a book called "Mother Nature" by.... I want to say Sarah Hrdy (not a typo she just has a weird name) that I think would really resonate with you. It is an amazing book about well, the use of babysitters and daycare, fostering children out etc both historically and among our near cousins the apes and monkeys, primarily. It is fascinating and very reasuring to those of us for whom...
Quote: Originally Posted by aprilushka I would appreciate it though if you would never, ever, ever insinuate any such thing to any SAHD. They have enough to deal with already with people not valuing what they do. Yup. Hell, my dh isn't a SAHD but he works from home - as do I. It is fascinating how our working is framed differently by other people based on gender. For him, he "works for himself, is his own boss, is an entrepreneur, works...
Quote: Originally Posted by thismama BS. Your argument is that fathers are victims of prejudice, as evidenced by the lack of parenting mags aimed at them, and this explains their (very real) lack of contribution to parenting? That is patently false. on the contrary, I think the lack of definition of male parents in popular culture, as evidenced by parenting magazines, is a very real form of discrimination of men. Women AND men perpetuate this...
Quote: Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog Oh yeah, me too. Yeah typically right around that time is when "warehousing" gets said and it's all over. Like not being with the kids ALL the time automatically equals wanting to just stow them somewhere except on holidays. Though this is true of me earlier today with my nearly 4 year old...However, I think if I were a SAHM, I would ship him off to grandma's for months at a time. And she lives...
Quote: Originally Posted by thismama I totally believe that, and was thinking about posting something along the lines of, "How many mamas you know who really want to work full time when they have infants?" So, then, what are we arguing about, even? I think it is easy to read polarizing views in more innocuous statements, especially since we are all feeling judged most of the time... What I find astonishing about the self-defining SAHM...
Quote: Originally Posted by thismama Oh, okay. Well then we're not that far apart. Coz yeah, I thought people were saying basically "Oh sure that is hunky dorey." I think that is too much, personally. I'm not saying it wouldn't work for anyone, but generally, I don't get how it can be great for most people and most babies. This is one way that the mommy wars get fanned - the stereotype that moms who work outside the home want to work 60+ hours...